Topic

Trekking pole wrist straps

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Trekking pole wrist straps

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW

On very steep inclines I’m a heavy user of trekking poles.  I recently had to replace my BD Alpine carbon poles after my old pair was stolen in a car break in.  I like the new poles except the new version has very wimpy straps and the padding doesn’t start until an inch down.  The old version had wider padding that started almost at the top of the strap.

Is there any 3rd party strap or something I can add to the strap to make it more comfortable?  Or another pole I should look at that has the same quality?  I love the poles, just don’t like the straps.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

I don’t know if all of the Black Diamond poles use the same strap attachment mechanism, but my FL Distance poles use a unique system. My Komperdell, Costco, and the Lekis all have the same, but different, arrangement, and my BD straps won’t work with those. If all of the BD poles use the same setup, you will likely need to buy some replacement straps directly from BD. Go to REI and see what the different BD poles use, and if there might be some straps that are more to your liking. If not, maybe you could glue some strips of foam onto the inside of your current straps.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

BD will sell you replacement straps. It’s annoying to have to do this with new poles but its an option.

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW

The BD Alpine Carbon has the “plushest” wrist strap of their line of trekking poles, but is a serious downgrade from my old ones from 5+ years back.  I don’t think they make ones that like anymore.  I think my best option is to figure out how to add some padding myself or return them for another brand with nice straps. :(

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

BD replacement straps, but unfortunately no photos

Some time back I was looking for BD straps and IIRC an extensive amount of googling did not find anybody who had them besides BD.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools