Topic

Trekking pole tent in southern UT?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Trekking pole tent in southern UT?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    lisa r
    BPL Member

@lisina10

Locale: Western OR

This will be my first year using a trekking pole tent (Xmid). I’m wondering if it’s wise to make southern Utah its inaugural trip or if I’d be better off with my old semi-freestanding tent. It’s been several years since I’ve been down there so my memory is a little vague, but I think it’s safe to assume I’ll be pitching in sand/sandy soil and/or possibly hard ground. Knowing wind can be a factor down there and I don’t have any experience or practice with this style tent, I’m leaning towards bringing the old tent, though I’m excited to try out the new…Opinions?

Bob Shuff
    BPL Member

@slbear

Locale: SoCal

Car camping or backpacking?  I’m planning a trip myself, and it seems somewhat common to setup the tent on rock or hardback. In the SoCal desert we often use rocks hold the stakes or in place of stakes. For our car camping stops I plan to bring a free standing tent. For an overnight backpack I was thinking bivouac sacks or cowboy camping.

John L
    Blocked

@snakejon

I hike in the uintas and in southern utah… I prefer a freestanding in the Deseret/southern utah and use my tarp tents in the uintas.

that said, rocks can help, dead mans anchors with sticks, stakes, buried sand filled stiff sacks etc work well if you are comfortable relying on that set up …..

John L
    Blocked

@snakejon

John L
    Blocked

@snakejon

Erica R
    BPL Member

@erica_rcharter-net

I’ve had a few trips to Coyote Gulch near Escalante, and Salt Creek in Canyonlands.

I too worried about the sand on the first trip. Bought some parachute anchors from REI. Returned them unused. The sand wasn’t an issue for my treking pole tent. I used some titanium shepherds hooks from Zpacks; red hooks, 7″ or so. Good general purpose stake, slips between rocks too.

Matt
    BPL Member

@mhr

Locale: San Juan Mtns.

Experiment!

Learn something new!

Take a (slight) risk!

Have more experience tomorrow than you do today!

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Learn to use little rock big rock technique.

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

^^ Or net type produce bags filled with large rock. Easier to tie off bag than rock alone. Weigh zilch. Good for potential slickrock sites. Available Amazon ( where else sheesh?)

PS another good thing about that 4-corners area is there is a huge variety of potential stake (sticks-limbs etc.) material seasoned and dried lying about anywhere there’s any vegetation. There’s also lots of potential hammers in the form of rocks lying about pretty much everywhere.

Edited to add: John’s picture above of the tent in that nice sandy spot with the rock stake-outs is a good example. Rocks all around and in the background about a zillion potential stakes. OTOH Nice thing about rocks in net produce bags is you can just move the bag a little to adjust the pitch.

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

Give us an update after your trip!

lisa r
    BPL Member

@lisina10

Locale: Western OR

Karen, I’ll have to let you know next year because I’ve had a change of plans and can’t make it down there this year. By then I’ll have some experience with the trekking pole tent.

I use rocks regularly when pitching and have fashioned dead man (dead men?) anchors as well. Having no experience beyond free-standing tent I just wasn’t sure if these methods would be adequate.

And @mhr, really??

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Those methods are usually adequate but the more options you have the better. Could be good to have some wider sand stakes too, plus the included V stakes for medium soils, or the included ti hook stakes for firmer soils.

Ralph Burgess
    BPL Member

@ralphbge

I hike a lot in the Southwest.  I rarely bother taking stakes, since they are no use on hard surfaces or sand.   Instead, put a ~12″ stick through the guyline loop, lay the stick flat on the ground, put a rock on each end of the stick.  This is much more secure than trying to put a rock on a short metal stake.  It is solid on any surface, and it’s absolutely secure in any weather conditions – when very windy just use bigger sticks & bigger rocks.   It’s more laborious to gather suitable sticks and rocks compared to setting up a freestanding tent, but in the desert you might only need to pitch a shelter 1 night in 5.   Most nights you can cowboy camp.  So the huge weight saving of a 6oz tarp (with no stakes) over a freestanding tent is very much worthwhile.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools