Topic

Trees and ground trip – what pad to use?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Hammock Camping Trees and ground trip – what pad to use?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Bob Shuff
    BPL Member

@slbear

Locale: SoCal

I’m planning a trip with some scouts to Catalina in June.  I’m pretty sure I won’t have trees for hammock camping some nights, but I want to bring the hammock in case I luck out with a pole or rocks, etc.  I will have hiking poles – fixed length 120cm BD Carbon.

Weather should be temperate (low to high 50s at night – mid 60s to mid 70s during the day).  It can be quite misty or even drizzly with the cloud cover so I do plan to have a tarp.  I have an HG standard tarp and Hammeck Netty that I plan to bring.  I’ve never used this as a bug bivy, so wanted to get any advice from hammock campers that have gone to ground when necessary.

I have a Neoair Xlite regular (70×20 in) @12oz, and some older RidgeRest sleeping pads in both small and regular, maybe even a Zrest somewhere in the garage.  I’ve never tried to use these for bottom insulation in my hammock, because I have nice down under quilts.

First question is what pad to use?  Will one of these be sufficient in the relatively warm temps?  I know dedicated hammock pads often have wings for wider coverage.  I would probably prefer the Neoair Xlite for the cushioning unless there’s a reason to use the closed cell foam pads.

2nd question, how well do gathered end hammocks work as essentially bug bivies with a standard tarp and 120cm poles?

3rd question since I’ve seen so many flat tarps for sale.  Is something like a 8.5 x 8.5 flat tarp worth the investment?  I think it would be would be heavier than by 11′ Hammock Gear tarp, but could be used on the diagonal for the hammock and maybe more flexibly if sleeping on the ground.  Has anyone found a value in having both?

Thanks in advance for your advice and feedback.

Slbear (Bob)

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

Any of the pads will be plenty warm in those temps.  I would take the Xlite for comfort.

Bob Shuff
    BPL Member

@slbear

Thanks Ben,

Do you think I need to diy some wings or maybe just use a jacket?. I’ll have an EE top quilt.

I assume you only partially inflate the pad while in the hammock.

Ben C
    BPL Member

@alexdrewreed

Locale: Kentucky

Bob, I’m sorry.  I thought you were going to use it on the ground.

Bob Shuff
    BPL Member

@slbear

Ideally something that works for both.  I don’t want to carry bottom quilt and pad.

Definitely would pick the NeoAir for the ground, and hoping it’s adequate for the hammock.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Not the same conditions but I’ve thought about hammocking the JMT and I’d use my 20° Burrow UQ and take a shorty NeoAir for the couple nights I go to ground.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools