Topic

Treasures From The Mists of the Past

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Treasures From The Mists of the Past

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I have been using two UL backpacking items for many years.

1. Princeton Tech Scout headlamp -> 1.7 oz. W/4CR2032 lithium batteries (12 years old)

2. SILVA Huntsman mini protractor compass -> 0.6 oz W/10″ cord lanyard. (27 years old)

Both are “treasures” for their lighter weight and usefulness and both are long out of production. :o(

Perhaps the most treasured is the Huntsman compass. For its weight and size it is very accurate and easy to use with its rotating bezel. Ya just gotta remember the current  declination of yer area or have it on yer map as it can’t be preset as in the larger protractor compasses like the SILVA Ranger.

Kimberly Wersal
    BPL Member

@kwersal

Locale: Western Colorado

I have that same Princeton Tec headlamp and have never seen any need to replace it with a newer model.  Twelve years and counting…

Elliott Wolin
    BPL Member

@ewolin

Locale: Hampton Roads, Virginia

The last time I did any sort of a major upgrade to my gear was around 2008, and I went for what then was considered UL.  Since then I’ve gone to Neoair pads, a FireMaple remote-canister stove, replaced worn-out shoes, replaced broken headlamps, and I think I purchased new raingear and socks, but that’s about all I’ve changed.  I don’t get out too often and everything I have is still in good condition.

Specifically, I still use my assorted Ti pots, MYOG tarps, GoLite packs, Leki and Komperdell old-style poles, STP and Columbia (clearance) clothing, Silva compass from the 1980s, and Photon Freedom micro flashlights.

Now don’t get me started on the gear I still have from the 1970s and 1980s that I use on occasion…

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Kim, That little Scout headlamp just plain works and the CR 2032 batteries last and last. Plus  the headband can easily be replaced with a similar width elastic band from a fabric shop.

Elliot, I gotta confess I’ve recently made some major purchases. A year ago I got a Deuter Air Contact 65+10 winter pack, an REI FLASH 4 season air mattress and this spring a Tarptent Notch Li Gen. 2.

But that should do it for a long time unless an inexpensive robotic llama comes out.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

Some of the gear I used last weekend (total PW with food & water under 20 lbs) . . .

Dean F.
    BPL Member

@acrosome

Locale: Back in the Front Range

What is that staff, Nick?

Paul S
    BPL Member

@pula58

Moss Stardome II

I used to love this tent. Of course, brutally heavy by today’s standards, but it never failed me (until the urethane coating started to rot away)..

https://www.trailspace.com/gear/moss-tents/stardome-ii/

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

Locale: Southern California

What is that staff, Nick?

Dean,

It’s a Tracks hiking staff. The company started in the late ’70s or early ’80s. Somewhere down the line Cascade Designs bought them. They are no longer made. Perhaps they can be found on eBay. At some point Cascades got rid of the really good twist lock and replaced it with a push button lock that could lock into a series of holes. I think the called the Sherlock (or something like that). I bought one for my son about 10 years ago and didn’t like it as much as my old one. There is a lot more information on my blog in these two posts.

Tracks Hiking Staff

Tracks Hiking Staff Repair and Adaptations

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools