Topic

Transportation in Yellowstone

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Transportation in Yellowstone

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Shae S
    BPL Member

@lynx1988

Hey All. I have a trip planned in early September for backpacking the Lamary valley. Starting out at the soda butte trailhead and ending at the Pelican Valley trailhead. By the road these trailheads are about 50 miles apart. Im wondering what is the best way to get transported between the two? Hitchhiking? Uber? Shuttle? Ive tried looking up info and am drawing blanks. Any help is appreciated!

Josh J
    BPL Member

@uahiker

don’t know if uber is available or not…. i’d say call up park ranger and ask them. there really isn’t any shuttle or public transportation that i know of in yellowstone. best case is probably trying to find someone by hitchhiking…

from the entrance to just about anywhere in yellowstone is a drive and a long one. went there a few years ago and i swear we did more driving than hiking…. good luck! i’m curious what you come up with!

Steofan M
    BPL Member

@simaulius

Locale: Bohemian Alps

Rent either one cheap car or maybe two cars in Bozeman if there will be anyone else on the trip. Better if there two or more hikers as you can park a car at either end of the trail. Still not a bad idea if it is just you but it will limit your hiking.

The concessionaire Xanterra has shuttles for employee use only and the last I knew, the Park Service was not keen on opening up to shuttle services for the general public. Good luck!

Jenny A
    BPL Member

@jennifera

Locale: Front Range

You might consider contacting one of the local guide companies to see if they might transport you at either end of your trip.  Trail Guides Yellowstone is based out of Bozeman and typically leads guided day hikes to overnight trips, but it wouldn’t hurt to ask.  I also found this list of authorized transportation providers on the Park’s own website:  https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/transbusn.htm.

From where are you beginning your trip, and how are you arriving at that starting point?  Yellowstone is a big place, as you probably know, and crowds and traffic jams can be problematic even in September.  A fare based on time and distance might be pretty pricey.

Shae S
    BPL Member

@lynx1988

@uahiker Yeah man im nervous more about getting back to my car than the grizzly bears lol

@jennifera
    We are starting at the soda butte trailhead (lamar valley) and ending at the pelican creek trail. Seems like a pain in the ass to drive back as it is about 50 miles lol

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

Keep in mind that the Pelican Valley is prime griz habitat, and the Park restricts the hours that you can hike in it. You’ll have to be sure that you can get over the pass and make it to the Pelican trailhead before dark.

Shae S
    BPL Member

@lynx1988

@zia-grill-guy I checked and you can hike from 9am till 7pm. Thanks for mentioning that man!

Ben H.
    BPL Member

@bzhayes

Locale: No. Alabama

A lot of companies provide transportation in the park:

https://www.nps.gov/yell/planyourvisit/transbusn.htm

The only problem with that link is it is too many choices.  I am surprised you haven’t received a detailed response from someone with more direct knowledge.

Shae S
    BPL Member

@lynx1988

@bzhayes haha i know! Seems very difficult to get this info lol

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools