Topic

Trailstar as hammock tarp

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Hammock Camping Trailstar as hammock tarp

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Opogobalus
    Spectator

@opagobalus

Ive seen a few mentions of using a trailstar as a hammock tarp, but very little evidence of it actually being done. Seems the peak would cause issues?/require a second ridgeline?

but I have come across this one pic, which makes it look perfectly suitable: https://m.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10108876780043483&set=pcb.10154903338502726&type=3&theater

im unsure how the user got the tarp pitched in this way? Without needing a second ridge for the peak?

has anyone here done it? Is it feasible?

(as to the why – I want to try hammocking, but most of my trips involve at least some above treeline camping which requires a more wind worthy tarp than a flat tarp – I don’t want to have to compromise some wonderful alpine pitches because I need to find trees to hang from!)

Mark Ferwerda
    BPL Member

@mnferwerda

Locale: Maryland

I have a tarp with beaks and I’ve used with a hammock ok. The beaks don’t get perfectly tight but it works. Have not had issues when it rained. Sure beats needing a hammock specific tarp.

Mark Ferwerda
    BPL Member

@mnferwerda

Locale: Maryland

OK, doesn’t really answer your question though, Sorry :(

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Do you have one ?

looks to me that a bit of a dimple would form where the apex is but may not be a problem even in heavy rain if that new ridgline (from beak to mid rear guyout) is set up taut, so that the apex flops to one side , as in the photo, not inwards.

Opogobalus
    Spectator

@opagobalus

What tarp do you have mark? Any pics set up?

franco I don’t have one, but would consider it as a dual use tarp (I’d consider very good ground performance most important in a hybrid set up).

Brad L
    BPL Member

@blengkeek

Jonathan, personally I use either a Pelican from Hummingbird Hammocks (272 grams) or I also have a rectangle tarp from Underground Quilts that weighs 349 grams. If my wife and I are really trying to save weight, I take the rectangle because we can stack our Hammocks like bunk beds under 1 tarp VS each of us taking a tarp. If I were to sleep on the ground (not likely) the rectangle tarp would be fine but I don’t think that the Pelican would be a good choice for that.

I don’t have a Facebook page, so I can’t see what you are referring to.

Opogobalus
    Spectator

@opagobalus

How have you found the pelican Brad? Very little info and reviews online.

Looks a lot like a Superfly, but 20% lighter.

And why would it not be so useful on the ground?

Brad L
    BPL Member

@blengkeek

My apologies, I have a Heron and not a Pelican. Looking at the Hummingbird Website I see it is still available. I like it real well, I bought my wife one first because of the lighter weight than the one we have from Underground Quilts. I can’t justify (today anyway) the cost of a DCF Tarp and since it would be x 2 since my wife would need one also, I think there are other things we can use the money for.

You could still use it on the ground but I am not sure if you would have all of the protection desired due to the hexagonal cut. I am not much of a ground dweller anymore, after using hammocks for the last 3 years, I am pretty much over it in fact.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools