Topic

Trailer hitch bike rack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Bikepacking & Bicycle Touring Trailer hitch bike rack

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

We’re looking for a trailer hitch bike rack that will actually hold four road and hybrid bikes.   We tried the Yakima Swing Daddy about 5-6 years ago and while it was rated for four bikes, we couldn’t fit all four on there.   We drove to REI with our bikes in the bed of the truck and they couldn’t get all four to fit either.

Extra points if the rack swings away so we can drop the tailgate but that feature isn’t 100% required.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I’ll ask my cycling buddy if he knows of one.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

My friend recommends having a look at Kuat racks.

Alex Wallace
    BPL Member

@feetfirst

Locale: Sierra Nevada North

I’ve carried 4 road bikes using the Yakima RidgeBack. Also, it can tilt away allowing me to drop my tailgate (Tacoma) if needed.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

I have the Thule Apex XT Swing that might meet your needs.  I’ve carried four bikes on it but, depending on the shape and size of the bikes you might have to play a little Tetris to get them to fit.  Do your pedals come off?  That was always my hangup, but if I alternated the handlebar directions they fit.

I love the “swing” functionality because I can open the hatch without removing the rack (I have a Toyota Highlander).

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Another thing to think about, though of course it’s adding a bit of fiddling, is to loosen the handlebars and swing them parallel to the bikes, and, as Kevin notes, remove pedals. Only two tools really needed to do both things.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

Thank you everyone.

Ken Ross
    BPL Member

@kr

Check out 1UP USA products. Their double rack can be expanded to hold up to 4 bikes. The heavy duty model can hold up to 200 lbs, the super heavy duty up to 225 lbs. Their RakAttach mount provides swing-away capability with a 275 lb rating. They are well made and work well but are expensive; total cost for a 4-bike configuration with the RakAttach will be close to $1500. I have transported 3 bikes on one of their racks for long highway drives followed by bumpy roads to trailheads and it held the bikes securely. The RakAttach can also be used with a cargo carrier (another $500) to hold other gear.

Arthur
    BPL Member

@art-r

1+, maybe 3+ on the 1UP

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

+4 for 1UP.  They aren’t cheap, but are the best out there.  I actually have a Thule T2 but if I were buying again today, I’d go 1UP for sure.

Ken Ross
    BPL Member

@kr

Um…would someone please explain to me what aspect of my reply was “inappropriate”???

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

nothing inappropriate..just some troll.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

My guess is someone fat thumbed it on accident.   Thanks again everyone

Mike In Socal
    BPL Member

@rcmike

Locale: California

I’ve also been on a long search for a better bike rack.  My local MTB friends also recommended 1Up so I’ll be going that route.  Glad to see that others made the same recommendations here.

Ian
    BPL Member

@10-7

I wanted to thank everyone for their contributions.  Shortly after posting this question, my wife was hit with kidney stones that eventually required surgery and our biking ambitions for the summer were cut short.  I’m going to use this information this spring when things start to warm up.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools