Topic

Trail users more chatty now?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Trail users more chatty now?

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

I’ve notice on day hikes in my local region (Monterey Bay Area, California) that other hikers, runners, and bikers are much more “chatty” now. In the old, pre-Covid days, I was lucky to get a “hi” from roughly 20 percent of passers-by, and almost no one stopped to talk.

Now its normal for almost everyone passing to say “Hi!” and for one or two to stop and talk for a couple of minutes on each hike – at safe distances, wearing masks, outdoors.

My theory is that we’re so starved for live, face-to-face human interaction that brief low-risk encounters with strangers are A Good Thing.

Anyone else noticed this?

— Rex

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Haven’t noticed it but I concur with your theory.

d k
    BPL Member

@dkramalc

Initially, I found that people were far LESS friendly around here…afraid of virus transmission?  Or just new to the trails and not used to being friendly?  Many wouldn’t even make eye contact.  I haven’t been out lately due to tendinopathy issues, so haven’t had a chance to see if that’s changed.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

I find myself a bit starved for social interactions and yeah, probably step back to 10 feet apart and chat a little more with other hikers than usual, if they’re of a similar mindset.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

lol.. the last few trips i went out on.. when someone would see me.. they would actually stop (with masks on) and turn their backs to the trail and me, practically jumping off trail..

Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

Not my experience on trails where I go; I’m out walking or running trails four-five days every week. At first I avoided the more crowded trail heads near me mostly to avoid people at the trail head parking areas.  More recently I find I can go when the parking areas are less crowded.

Personally I now avoid interacting with people I don’t know since I’m unsure about their comfort level. Prior to Covid-19 I often would greet other trail users and maybe even stop and chat. But when I do bump into folks I’ve gotten to know on the trails I stop a good distance away and we chat.

Some people I know have taken to doing group calls with others they would hike or walk with. They pre-arrange a time to walk and start the call when they start and others join as they start walking – each one in their own neighborhoods or trails. I find I don’t enjoy that experience and I much prefer to hike/run in solitude. Pre Covid I did enjoy hiking with others; I don’t see the phone group chats as a substitute.

Arthur
    BPL Member

@art-r

To back up what Dirtbag said.  In our preserve in Scottsdale AZ, people rarely get bit by snakes because they stay on the trails.  This April, in 3 weeks, we had a record 6 rattle snake bites.  People were jumping off the trail to avoid other hikers in a total panic, not looking where they were going, and stepping on the poor snakes.  The perception of risk has taken an odd turn with so much media in the world now.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

Theory holds true. I myself-introvert, find myself saying hello to more people than my usual head down-full steam ahead mode. I think it is an unconscious decision to put out some positivity however small that may be.

Paul Leavitt
    BPL Member

@paleavitt1

Locale: Midwest

Did a 6 day trip on and off ‘The Beaten Path’  with 2 friends in 1st week of august.  We talked with many hikers and even a few trail runners.  No masks in sight.

Tercio B
    Spectator

@tercio

I live in the Northeast and much to my distress I have found people on the trail to be far less friendly. Granted, I did a lot more hiking back in the 90s and early 2000s so maybe I haven’t kept up with the times, but as far as I’m concerned saying “hi” has always been the bare minimum on the trail. I recall very distinctly on backpacking trips that it was routine to stop and chat about trail conditions and where we’re coming from and where we’re going to. My primary hiking partner these days is 20 years younger than me and she insists that sharing that kind of information is absolutely “not done”. It’s often a topic of debate between us. I refuse to change. At the very least, I’m going to keep saying hello. We are only day hiking though; it may be different when one gets deeper into the backcountry.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Out west hikers of all sorts are striking up conversations but it’s not like anyone is getting into anyone else’s “personal space”.   Other hikers chug along and it’s important to keep that preference in mind.

Think the real “fun” will be ski season, especially at the resorts waiting on lifts.  Guessing scarves and mouth/nose covering balaclavas will be in fashion (de rigeur?).

Then again … mouth/nose covers?  May be time to visit the frigid states.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

Solo hikers have always been chatty with other solo hikers, imo.  Particularly on uncrowded trails where seeing  1 or 2 a day is a lot.   The more crowded it is, less need for chit chat.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

It just really depends.  I’ve noticed far more mostly day-hikers where there’s vehicle access.  At least some went stir-crazy during the initial virus shutdown… when localities were even shutting down their own community walking trails.

Outdoors anymore I’ll just hitch up my Buff as other hikers approach and say “hi”.   No big deal, but concern if while they stopped to talk, … they leaned towards me.  That’s another use for hiking poles I reckon.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools