Topic

Trail Shorts Recommendation

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Trail Shorts Recommendation

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    John Papini
    BPL Member

@jpapini

Hello experts! After completion of my first PCT thru-hike and managing attendant chafe issues, I have switched from hiking in pants to hiking in shorts. Because I made the switch on-trail, I did not research this particular gear choice to death; I picked up a pair of bright orange short shorts at a thrift store that served me well, but alas they are worn and in need to replacement.

I would like short running shorts (as opposed to knee-length) WITH pockets, which limit my choices somewhat. Any suggestions for lightweight short shorts WITH pockets?

My gratitude!

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

I have two shorts with pockets that I like: a older pair of 5″ Salomon running shorts and a pair of Patagonia 5″ Baggies. The better shorts are the supplex nylon Baggies, but the running shorts are slightly lighter and slightly more compact, so I might take those if I’m wearing hiking pants most of the time but want shorts too. I cut the liner out of both and wear them with ex officio or wool underwear. I honestly never worry about the extra ounce for the baggies, though. They’re just great durable quick-drying shorts!

The running short w/o liner = 3.7 oz

The Baggies w/o liner = 5.5 oz

Spencer B
    BPL Member

@justmytwospence

Steven, I am also thinking about cutting the liner out of my Patagonia baggies. Do you recommend going about it in a particular way? I’m worried ragged edges of the liner might be uncomfortable. Oh, and I second the Baggies recommendation, they are good shorts for hiking. The liner is just unnecessary because I prefer wearing boxer-briefs.

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

I have some Asics running shorts with pockets that I like.

I cut the liners out an use some REI boxer briefs similar to the Ex Officios and am very happy. I don’t even notice the slight bit of liner material remaining.

W I S N E R !
    Spectator

@xnomanx

Patagonia Baggies or Patagonia Wayfarer stretch board shorts are my all time favorites.  As a So. Californian, I can live in the board shorts half the years….surfing, climbing, hiking, running, you name it.

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

@Spencer I used a pair of sharp fabric scissors that my wife already had and cut just a few mm below the seam, taking my time working around the seam. Like Bob, I never notice any remaining liner material; you won’t even feel it.

Also like Craig, I have a pair of Stretch Wavefarers — they are also great shorts for hiking, but they aren’t as short as the 5″ Baggies or running shorts. If I could only own one pair of shorts, it’d be a difficult toss-up between those two!

Joe Medlin
    BPL Member

@kc_joe

Anyone use Patagonia Strider Pro Shorts? I like the minimal design but still having pocket options and especially the built in boxer brief style liner (instead of the normal brief style).

Derek Weeks
    BPL Member

@lighting12

I’m using the Patagonia Strider Pro Shorts 5″ and absolutely love them, but I did remove the boxer briefs. I just don’t like shorts with liners of any kind  just my preference, but I do like the fit of the shorts and the pockets incase I ever need them.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools