Topic

Trail runner Question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Trail runner Question

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Nick M
    BPL Member

@medicpatriot

Alright guys, I listened to people on here suggesting I try trail runners, so I tried several pairs. Brooks Cascadia fit the best so far I think.

I think I’m ready to take the dive and get my feet wet, literally. I think I can accept the wet feet thing and finally give up on  hot goretex overpriced boots.

I just need some advice from you guys on one important aspect, wetness and cold.

I know if be fine with wet feet, but what about when it’s cold? I don’t mean snow, just 30deg weather and wet. For example, I’m going to Iceland soon, then Montana. Those two places are know for temperature drops, heavy rain storms, and high winds. That means the breathable shoe would also be breathing 40mph wind gusts while wet and cold. This is the only part I’m nervous about.

I also will be backpacking <40lbs for days at a time, but everyone here seems to think trail runners are fine for backpacking so I’m not as worried about that.

I just don’t want to be stuckout there freezing my feet off.

Will they be okay for these applications?

Paul S.
    BPL Member

@pschontz

Locale: PNW

Thick socks keep your feet warm.  Neoprene socks will block the wind if it’s that bad. As long as you’re moving you should be fine but everyone’s metabolism is different.

Michael Gillenwater
    BPL Member

@mwgillenwater

Locale: Seattle area

options:

1) be lucky and have high metabolism and naturally not get cold

2) vapor barrier liner

3) neoprene sock if near continually in water

4) goretex sock (not much difference from #2)

Pedestrian
    BPL Member

@pedestrian

There are two issues to be concerned about:

– the need for your feet to adapt to hiking in trail runners
    – your tolerance for hiking in wet shoes in possibly cold, windy conditions

With shoes more than almost anything else it’s critical to let your system adapt to something new and possibly completely different than what you’re currently used to (from the tone of your question). This could take a few day hikes or runs of increasing duration with and without a pack.

Also it would be great if you can do the hikes in conditions you expect on your planned trip (rainy, windy, cold). This will help you figure out what will or will not work for YOU and YOUR feet. No one else can tell you that.

Also your shoes will likely remain wet overnight in case of constant rain. Your best bet would be to have a few extra pairs of socks (and a pair of clothes) that you keep dry to change into.

The following threads might help you:

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/ankle-strengthening/

https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/just-get-your-friggin-shoes-wet/

And one more on the general topic of hiking in cold, rainy mountains:
    https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/best-insulation-system-for-cold-rainy-mountains/

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

A few tips that might not be in other threads:

• Use lightweight gaiters to block wind and dirt, like Dirty Girl gaiters. Dirt + wet for days accelerates blister problems. Keep your feet as clean as you can.
    • Be careful switching to thicker socks if your shoes are already tight with thin socks. Reducing circulation will make your feet colder. You might need to upsize your shoes.
    • Don’t tolerate cold feet for hours or repeated days, you can cause long term damage.
    • Don’t expect miraculous warmth from GoreTex socks or extremely thin Neoprene socks. They help, but you’ll need a couple mm of neoprene (or wool, or synthetic) to make a big difference.
    • A small squeezable towel works wonders for drying your feet in camp. Cotton bandanas aren’t enough.

As @pedestrian said, try some hikes in the conditions you expect with different combinations of gear.

— Rex

Nick M
    BPL Member

@medicpatriot

I’m definitely going to test my gear on shorter hikes, but I won’t be able to simulate the weather for my trips in August.

I see that everyone is different, but hiking in wet trail runners in 40 degrees F is something people do with no worries?

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

I do.    In 2015 I spent 11 days in Brooks Range and my feet were wet every day.  I did dry them off at night and slept in dry socks though.  I am not sure what the highs were but I imagine the 50’s or 40’s most days, though probably colder a day or two as it did snow during the day (and stick) at least once.

I will say the shoes were shot by the end of the trip and they never would have smelled the same again anyways :).

In my hikes in the Rockies or Sierras’s trailrunners dry pretty fast, but they didn’t in Alaska, nor do they here in the Southeast where I live.  If I am moving, wet feet don’t really bother me at all.   A few years ago I had one day in Cohutta Wilderness that was 31.8 miles with 84 (yes 84) creek crossings and no foot issues whatsoever.

Nick M
    BPL Member

@medicpatriot

I’m more worried about Iceland than any of the trails I frequent in the US.

Apparently it rains there constantly and dips pretty cold with strong winds.

Ryan T
    BPL Member

@ryantoupal

I just did a 50 mile trip through the Hoh Rainforest with numerous creek crossings and up over the glacier in these.

I had 2 pairs of socks. One lightweight pair and one thick pair of Alpaca wool so I always had a dry pair in the bag. The shoes dry very fast so I always had a dry solution if needed.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools