Topic

Trail Designs 400 Ti-Tri Sidewinder inferno Run

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Trail Designs 400 Ti-Tri Sidewinder inferno Run

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

<p style=”text-align: left;”>a little demo of the Trail Designs Evernew 400 Ti-Tri Sidewinder using wood..</p>

YouTube video

Stormin
    Spectator

@stormin-stove-systems

Locale: East Anglia

Evernew 400 cup and lid. It’s ok, if you don’t mind black soot everywhere and stinkin’  of wood smoke.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

I don’t mind the soot or wood smoke smell. Especially if I’m out on the trail.. I actually welcome it!!  The pot goes into the stuff sack.. So no mess with any soot either.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Yeah, my smaller Sidewinder with the Inferno insert is great for melting snow in winter. Saves me carrying a LOT of fuel.

The Tri-Ti and Sidewinder, with the optional Inferno insert, are brilliant wood-burning “gassifier” conversions of the original Caldera Cone. More efficient than the Canadian made Bush Buddy plus lighter and stores much smaller.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

So why didn’t you show the 3 Inferno insert components BEFORE loading it up with wood?

That inverted and ventilated cone insert and support screening is what makes a very hot gassifier stove.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

The 400 ml set up does not actually use the “inferno” cone set up like the other ones. My 600 ml Ti-Tri has it.. not the 400.  The 400 is primarily built for esbit fuel burning.. but as you can see in my demonstration you can easily burn twigs for fuel also.. alcohol too works just fine. I personally use it with 4g or 5g esbit tab to get my water simmering hot, just shy of a boil.. enough to rehydrate any of my meals and eat them warm.. if fneeded or wanted though,  wood burning is another nice option.

Jameson T
    BPL Member

@jamesontisch36

You get a simmer with a single 4g esbit tab? I’ll have to try with my Toaks 550 w/ cone.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Yup.. just gets about 1.5 cups to a slight simmer.. and it is definitely warm enough to rehydrate all of my meals that i bring with me out on trail and eat them warm.

This is 3 season.. not dead of winter with ice ice cold water..

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I typically get bubbles with about 1.5 cups of cold creek water in my TD/Zelph 550 with 4g of Esbit in ideal conditions without wind. 6g is usually a better choice. 8 grams if the water is icy, I’m boiling a lot or it’s windy and then I’m pretty much guaranteed to get a full rolling boil.

I use a little piece of Ti or stainless foil bent in a U shape around the tablet like a mini Gram Cracker.

Take my experiences with a minor grain of salt. I lost interest cooking shortly after I converted to Esbit. I’ve got maybe 15 nights on trail where I cooked (including nights at 11,000’+) in 3 season conditions including just below freezing. It’s not an extensive data set with hundreds of nights…

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Works for me.. lol.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools