Topic

Trail conditions in Switzerland

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Trail conditions in Switzerland

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    David Hicks
    BPL Member

@davidalex

Does anyone know of a good resource for assessing the snowpack and general conditions of the Chamonix-Zermatt Walkers High Route? I understand that region got a ton of snow this year and I’m feeling a little anxious about my July 2 start date in Chamonix. Also wondering if I’ll need to change up my route, bring microspikes, etc.

Joe S
    Spectator

@joe-s

If no one here has any advice, I’m sure someone does though, I would try calling some guiding agencies over there to see if they have any advice if you haven’t already.  Btw you are in for an absolutely beautiful trip. I went mountain biking and hiking in Chamonix a couple years ago in late July, the area is absolutely stunning.  I can send you some photos if you think it would help you with figuring out the snow conditions at all.   All of the areas I hiked or rode in were didn’t have much if any snow, but it was later in the summer and most of the trails were in the sun.

A.H
    BPL Member

@anubis

im section thru hiking the via alpina and i would definitely bring micro spikes for the WHR if i would start early july. btw some mountain passes could be possibly closed due to unstable snow conditions.
    all information is available in Chamonix high mountain ofiice –  Office de Haute Montagne 190 Place de l’Église,

and all the snow gear or other gear you may need you can easily get in chamonix.
    <div class=”NFQFxe viOShc LKPcQc mod” data-md=”16″ data-hveid=”151″ data-ved=”0ahUKEwjojOfqiI_bAhUKmbQKHWukCZ8QhygIlwEwCw”>
    <div class=”LKVBDc uICYRb cn1HBc”>
    <div class=”d1rFIf” role=”heading” aria-level=”3″>
    <div class=”kno-ecr-pt kno-fb-ctx DU2Vcb TETcpf” data-dtype=”d3ifr” data-local-attribute=”d3bn” data-ved=”0ahUKEwjojOfqiI_bAhUKmbQKHWukCZ8Q3B0ImAEoADAL”></div>
    </div>
    </div>
    </div>

David Hicks
    BPL Member

@davidalex

Joe S — I’m mostly worried about the north side of passes. But from what I understand late July is a different animal than early/mid July.

A.H. — Yes I think I’m just going to bring some shoe spikes, and wing it from there. I can make gear adjustments in Chamonix as needed, and trail adjustments as I go.

Jane Baack
    BPL Member

@janeb

Check the website of the Compagnie des Guides de Chamonix for their e-mail and phone info. They have a large number of mountain guides and have always been helpful in answering our questions even though we’ve never used their guiding services. When in Chamonix be sure to visit their building by the church for latest info.

Your route is a standard one so I’m sure they will have current information for you.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools