Topic

Trader Joe's 1.5L water bottles got flimsy, alternatives?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Trader Joe's 1.5L water bottles got flimsy, alternatives?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

For many years I used Trader Joe’s 1.5 liter (non-fizzy)tall  water bottles for hiking and backpacking. They were light, sturdy enough to reuse, easy to reach in my HMG Windrider side pockets, and cheap.

Recently, they thinned the plastic. Great for the environment, not so great for backpacking. Seemed too flimsy on a recent five day trip, and partially collapsed with little pressure. Didn’t leak, but I didn’t trust it, either.

Time to find a new rigid water bottle. I’ve become quite fond of that size: 1.5 liters is about what I drink during one day of hiking (sometimes more); 1.5 liters is about what I need for one dinner plus overnight.

I’ve read good things about Smart Water bottles, but the 1.5 liter size isn’t common around here:

Fizzy water or soda bottles tend to be heavier, but I haven’t found any of those in 1.5 liters, either.

Yes, I have soft Platy bottles in various sizes, Looking for something more rigid.

Any suggestions?

— Rex

Brando Sancho
    BPL Member

@saudade

Locale: SoCal

I prefer a 1.5L Evian to Smart Water. Very sturdy, not too skinny. You can find them at some gas stations and liquor stores here.

Brando Sancho
    BPL Member

@saudade

Locale: SoCal

What did you settle on?

Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Stumbled across 1.5L Smart Water bottles at Whole Foods so I bought one. Haven’t had a chance to try it yet. I’ll keep looking for the Evian 1.5L, too.

— Rex

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools