Topic

Torn: tarptent or zephyros

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Torn: tarptent or zephyros

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    John L
    Blocked

@snakejon

I am torn between the two ….. i have looked at specs and prices etc the online stuff, but want some advice from you guys who have used these tents on the trail

Zephyros 1 from Terra Nova  or tarptent moment dw which one is better and why?

John L
    Blocked

@snakejon

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

@ John

My recollection is that Terra Nova tents many of which have been developed for races like the TGO in Scotland have been discussed at BPL before. Have you tried the search function? You also might get more responses to your question by posting on the various UK lightweight hill walking and wild camping sites.

Cheers

Mole J
    BPL Member

@mole

Locale: UK

The Tarptent is the better tent in my opinion/experience.

I’m in the UK and have experience of both.

We own a Moment DW, and I’ve camped with several friends who have a  Zephyros.

The Zephyros is the budget build version of Terra Novas Laser Competition (which is more comparable in materials to the Tarptent). I have used a friends Laser Competition, and owned/used a Laser Photon ( the UL version) for several years.

All are good tents.

The Moment is faster and easier to get a good Taut Pitch.  It doesn’t flap as much due to better panel design.

It has more headroom, 2 doors/porches, better ventilation, more solid/simple ends due to the pitchlock system.

The Laser/Zephyros are often finicky to get a comparable taut pitch, though it’s possible.

But I wouldn’t discount the Zephyros if budget is a concern.

Well pitched they hold up to weather, if a bit more noisy due to canopy flap.

You often see them in deals for around £100.   A Moment (or Laser) is 3x this. Which reflects the materials quality.

John L
    Blocked

@snakejon

Thank you guys those were awesome comments

Bill in Roswell
    BPL Member

@roadscrape88-2

Locale: Roswell, GA, USA

Lower weight, lower cost, more headroom = win Moment DW.

Now for the DCF Moment! Henry?

John L
    Blocked

@snakejon

I’d buy one… Henry?

Henry Shires / Tarptent
    BPL Member

@07100

Locale: Upper Sierra Foothills - Gold Rush Country

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

LOL

Is the money growing on the tree or is the tree growing on the money.

At least it is not Bitcoin….

Geoff Caplan
    BPL Member

@geoffcaplan

Locale: Lake District, Cumbria

I have a Zephyros I picked up as a loaner when it was launched – there was a crazy-cheap introductory offer.

I’ve used it a few times as a basecamp shelter. Can’t say I’m a fan. It’s quite fiddly to pitch and coffin-like to use. As it’s part of a budget range, the materials have been chosen to be cheap and robust rather than to be lightweight. And a small point, but in poor weather I find the greyish-white colour of the inner rather depressing.

Perfectly serviceable if you’re on a tight budget, but pretty much anything from Tarptent would likely be better.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools