Topic

Top of the Chinese Wall

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Top of the Chinese Wall

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Dan Gregerson
    BPL Member

@dlgregerson

Locale: Bob Marshall Wilderness

Hey all,
    I’m considering a trip across the Bob this summer which would include hiking off trail along the top of the Chinese Wall from Larch Hill to Haystack Butte. Anyone have experience on this stretch? My main question is whether that is mostly open country, or actually involves a lot of scrambling in ravines which could be time consuming. Thinking I can travel that stretch easily in a day (and is that necessary due to a lack of water?), but not sure how reasonable that is.

Thanks in advance!

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Locale: Montana

Dan- we almost did it last summer :)  We got almost miles in and were stopped by two fires relatively close by.  Everything I’ve read is that it’s doable in a full day, evidently a few sketchier spots, but nothing crazy.  Found one account online where a couple of guys did it, but taking a couple of days to do it.

You do want to carry adequate water as there isn’t much for reliable water up top.

We plan on giving it another go this summer, earlier before fire season is in full swing.

Our plan is to hike to Larch Hill via Benchmark, camp at the base of the Wall that evening and load up on water in the morning.  Traverse the Wall south to White River Pass and out at Benchmark.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

We did the route S of Larch a few years back and it was pretty spectacular.

I wrote about it in a series of blog posts here:

http://ryanjordan.com/blog/2014/07/day-7-staging-for-the-wall-2/

http://ryanjordan.com/blog/2014/07/we-are-now-on-top-of-the-chinese-wall/

http://ryanjordan.com/blog/2014/07/day-8-9-the-chinese-wall/

There’s links at the bottom of each post where you can go back or forward and read about other days of that trip too.

Dan Gregerson
    BPL Member

@dlgregerson

Hey Mike,
    Thanks for the response and good to hear from you! Know what you mean about dodging fires; I’m planning this trip for the last week in August, so chances are good for having to re-route around something.

I’ll be coming in from Spotted Bear Pass, so figured to camp at My Lake to tank up before hitting the wall. Got this crazy idea to connect the dots of places I’ve wanted to see, but missed in prior trips, sooo- going in the N. Fk Birch creek to Beaver Lk., work my way down to Schafer, up the Dolly Varden (fishing anyone?), down Pentagon to Spotted Bear, up to the pass, traverse the Wall to Haystack, then BACK up White R. to cross over Pagoda Mtn. Down to Black Bear, up Hungry cr/Picture ridge, down Gorge cr. to Sunburst Lk and out over Napa Point. Crazy, huh? Look like the itinerary of someone who spent too much time over a long winter staring at maps?

Thinking of calling it the BMWO for Wimps (i.e., too wimpy to deal with springtime river crossings)!

Dan Gregerson
    BPL Member

@dlgregerson

Thanks Ryan, that some awesome beta. (I was typing the same time as you). Appreciate the response and info!

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Dan- that sounds like a great itinerary!  You’ll be definitely hitting some really prime country.

Speaking of Dolly Vardens- decades ago, I was using a small UL spinning outfit catching cutthroat, hooked a cutthroat and was fighting him in- all of a sudden the fish just stopped and I couldn’t budge him, thought he hung himself up on a submerged log.  Then my line started going out, I adjusted my drag and started heading down stream.  Finally I could see the “problem”, a bull trout had grabbed my cutthroat!  He let it go and I had a beat up cutthroat to eat that evening :)

Mike

Dan Gregerson
    BPL Member

@dlgregerson

Good story Mike. If you decide to try that trip again this year, I look forward to hearing how it went!

Tom M
    BPL Member

@twofeathers

Locale: Kalispell

Dan,

Just did a similar trip last summer. Did some trading for a plane ride to schafer then up dolly varden turned up chair mtn trail into trilobite range (north wall) then down red shale creek up rock creek to larch hill pass (just missed the juliet creek fire closure) top of the wall down to white river pass then down white river to big salmon and out holland lake lodge. The top of the wall can be done in one day. Dropping into open creek below kevan always my favorite. Sounds like you have a great route!!

Dan Gregerson
    BPL Member

@dlgregerson

Thanks Tom, sounds like you had an epic trip yourself.

Did you see the ‘twisted trees’ on the Chair Mtn. trail? And I thought the House of Mystery was the only place they existed! :-)

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Tom- curious if you found any water on top?  A couple of very small ponds show on the map, not sure if they even still hold water.

Thanks

Mike

Tom M
    BPL Member

@twofeathers

Locale: Kalispell

Dan,

I did… thats funny because the only other place other than H.O.M. I have encountered trees like this are in parts of the southern cabinet wilderness  (bear creak trail towards seven point lookout). Keep me posted if you decide to make a trip this summer. I usually take time off in the summer for a bob trip and would be interested in going.

Mike,

If memory serves me right there are a few small springs (drips) along the way. I packed up enough water to get me through at the spring right after my lake

Mike M
    BPL Member

@mtwarden

Tom- thanks :)  If I can get away from not having to carry 4 liters of water, the would be most welcome!

We’re going earlier too this year, so there might be an errant snow bank or two??

Mike

Dan Gregerson
    BPL Member

@dlgregerson

Ok, thanks all! Stay tuned.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools