Topic

Top of foot tendinitis

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Kelly G
    BPL Member

@kellydt

I have developed tendinitis on the top of one foot. It was caused by a new exercise and is not repetitive injury. Doctor prescribed the usual, rest ice and ibuprofen.

Do you have any experience with this? I’m curious about your healing process, how long,  that sort of thing.

Kelly

Michelle B
    BPL Member

@mbracht

I have had several episodes of tendonitis, but probably not that particular one. I have used KT Tape in the past with great success. If you know the actual name of the tendon that is afflicting you, you can do a Google search of how to tape it with KT Tape. You can buy that at any pharmacy. I recommend the stronger varieties.

Kelly G
    BPL Member

@kellydt

Interesting, didn’t know about taping. I’ve had other tendinitis too, so I’m very interested in fully healing this. Don’t know the exact name of it.

Ralph Wood
    BPL Member

@visualscapes

Locale: Northern CA

Sounds like Extensor Tendonitis. I’ve had it and it is quite painful. I found icing it did help along with ibuprofen and resting it as much as possible. Also, lacing my shoes very loosely for a week or two helped alot as well. Recovery wasn’t too long. It took me about 3 weeks before I could run and climb hills without pain.

Good luck!

steven green
    BPL Member

@mrgreen4

I agree with Ralph Wood, I did it to myself by changing insoles in my boots. This decreased the available volume causing my shoe to aggravate the tendons you describe. It took about 3 weeks of rest-ice-elevation, and switching shoes. I didn’t tape it, just never thought of it.

Oh, right and Vitamin I. (ibuprofen)

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Yeah, I have had that with some trail runners (New Balance) I used for around 150mi on a trail. I was used to a heavier shoe and kept over reaching when lifting my foot. Loose lacing, resting the tendon, and Tylenol/ibuprofen. It will usually clear up in a week or two, but be decreasingly tender for a while. The pain will usually go away first, but climbing, hiking up hills, will let you know it was aggravated for many weeks/months. Not a bad injury, in as much as any injury is “bad”, just don’t let it get worse.

Kelly G
    BPL Member

@kellydt

Thank you all. Pain is less now but I’ll have to be certain to increase exercise gradually. No serious elevation hiking for a while I think. Doctor limited me to twenty pounds lifting as well. Fortunately my backpack and gear is well under that!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools