Topic

Piggies got banged

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Piggies got banged

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

I find that the few times I have worn my Trail runners which are 1 size larger then I normally would wear, I got some serious toe bang and my toe nails got black n blue and eventually fell off. Never had this problem when I wear the exact size I normally wear. The reason I was wearing one size up, was for cold weather when I would wear a thin baselayer sock and then a heavier sock over it.. But these 2 trips I just wore a lightweight sock ..so my foot apparently was sliding a bit and on the descents my toes were smashing front end of shoe!

Just ranting a bit here.. I always hear people say to go one size up.. I don’t get it! My piggies were hurting from this.. Like never before.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I don’t ever size up unless I’m wearing much heavier socks for winter. I’ve always just worn my normal size and have never had the ‘black toe’ issue. But I’m not a thru hiker, just a weekend/week-long warrior.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

I guess thru hiking at some point after long distances,  you can possibly size up because your feet get bigger? Lol.. am i just blowing smoke up here???

David U
    Spectator

@the-family-guy

How are you tying your shoes?  I ask because there are ways to prevent (mostly) toe bang.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Salomon have speed lace.

Tried em tight. Tried em loose.. foot still banged the front end. Did not happen when i wore base layer and heavier thick sock.. only when i wore thinner mid sock.

Also NEVER happens when i wear my actual size.. no matter what sock i have on. And i have been wearing Salomon trail runners for probably last 8 years or so.

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

Answer to all toe problems – condoms!! I have tried them and they work. They seem like they would be big and bulky, but they’re not. They’re washable and reusable. I keep a big one and a small one in my first aid kit.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Its my evolution toe that gets banged up.. not my big toe!! But that there is interesting,  lol.

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

The toe protectors come in various sizes and can also be cut down. No flavors though, that I know of!

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

Lol @ no flavors

David U
    Spectator

@the-family-guy

Those speed laces slip in my experience.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

8 + years.. i wear them every day.. running, walking, hiking, backpacking.. i probably forgot how to tie a shoe lace by now, lol. I have NEVER had them loosen or slip on me. Once i make them desired tightness and tuck them in/away.. they stay right there until i need or desire to loosen them.

Gene C
    BPL Member

@genecx

Locale: SF Bay Area

I recommend not just trying a tight lacing, but trying a heel-lock lacing.  That’s most effective with shoes that have an extra lace hole past the one that is normally used as the final hole, but you can do it without that extra hole too.

Heel-lock lacing

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools