Topic

Toaks wood burning stove

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Toaks wood burning stove

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

Maybe this has been discussed before but I don’t recall.

I spotted one at a local (well , almost…) shop the other day.

Light and very compact once nested .

4″x4″ packed, 4″x8″ assembled. 7.9 oz

http://toaksoutdoor.com/toakstitaniumwoodstove.aspx

Has anyone tried it ?

Not really that interested in it my self but I thought it could work well for some.

Jim C
    BPL Member

@jimothy

Locale: Georgia, USA

Franco,

I’ve got one, which I actually have listed for sale. I can’t compare it to something like a Solo Stove, as I have never used one, but I can share some thoughts.

First, as you mention, it’s very compact. It fits inside Toaks 1100ml pot perfectly, and probably in others, as well.

It has the usual pros and cons of wood stoves. On the pro side, of course you don’t need to bring fuel with you, provided you’re going to have dry wood available to you and fire bans are not in place. There is surprisingly little ash left after a burn, so the secondary/wood gas burn appears to really work. Feed it twigs and pine cones and it’ll give a nice flame.

You have some control over the amount of heat produced, based on how much wood you feed it. Simmering probably won’t be easy, but it may be possible. I have cooked pancakes on an aluminum  pan over it, and it works pretty well. Better than a canister stove, because the heat is less concentrated, and much better than an alcohol stove without a simmer ring.

And it’s fun to use. My son really likes it, and would probably not approve of me putting it up for sale. Bring along some marshmallows and enjoy!

On the con side: unlike a gas or alcohol stove, you have to give this more TLC, feeding it small pieces of wood while you cook or boil water. It’s heavier than an alcohol or canister stove, but saving on fuel offsets that. The win over a canister stove and canister is pretty much immediate, but it would take a long trip to be lighter than an alcohol stove.

If you feed it too much wood at once, or wet wood, I can get smoky. It will burn wet wood, eventually, provided you’ve got a good flame going already, but be prepared for smoke.

Like any wood stove, it will leave spot on your pot. But that cleans up pretty easily, though pine can be trickier.

Overall, I think it’s a fun stove, and in shorter trips with my son, I do like to take it. But on longer trips, gas or alcohol stoves are more convenient.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Hi Jim,

your second part is why I use the Caldera Cone (alcohol mode) or occasionally a canister stove but I have played around a bit with wood burning stoves including making my own.

So I was thinking more of a comparison with other wood burning stoves for those that like and use them.

(we have a wood heater and a stove/heater here so I now burn wood everyday. Only a few hundred fallen trees before we run out of fuel…)

Photo taken 5 minutes ago

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I prefer my Trail Designs ti Sidewinder with Inferno wood-burning insert. It doesn’t need constant watching and it is HOTTT!, leaving mostly just white ashes.

Plus it’s very compact when rolled up and stored in my pack.

Ed Biermann
    BPL Member

@longstride

“I prefer my Trail Designs ti Sidewinder with Inferno wood-burning insert.”

So you’ve used the Toaks stove then?

This looks like what the poster a while back was wanting to with nesting ti pots.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Hi Ed,

I forgot about the nesting pot thing.

Yes this might be close to what he was after.

It is very fast and easy to assemble and yes it does have a ,UL type , pot friendly size.

I spotted a photo of that stove inside the Toaks 750ml pot. Very little room to spare so not sure if you could have a bag over the stove (maybe thin silnylon will)

Jim C
    BPL Member

@jimothy

Toaks sells a small version of the stove which fits in their 750ml pot. The regular version nests inside a 1100ml pot.

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Thanks.

I have also seen one of the larger stoves fitting snugly inside the 1100ml pot, forgot about it 2 minutes later…

Jim C
    BPL Member

@jimothy

Franco,

The larger stove, including the nylon bag, does fit in the 1100ml pot. I had both. (I sold the pot on BPL; the stove is still available if anyone is interested).

Personally, I’d choose to leave the stove’s bag behind, and just bring a bag for the pot, but both stove and bag will fit in the pot if that’s what you wish to do.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools