Topic

To those who bring a DSLR on long backpacking trips, how do you carry it?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion To those who bring a DSLR on long backpacking trips, how do you carry it?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Justin Dong
    BPL Member

@jdongg

I generally bring my DSLR on most trips as well as a lightweight tripod, since I’m always up at sunrise and sunset, and sometimes nights for astrophotography.

Up till now, I’ve just kept it in my backpack and take it out when I need to use it, but that can get really annoying to shrug off the pack, open it up, and grab the camera. On the one hand, it forces me to really choose wisely when I want to take a photo, but on the other hand, I feel like I miss out on some shots because I’m too lazy.

I’ve got a BlackRapid strap that allows me to sling the camera over my shoulder like a messenger bag but I’ve found that to be really uncomfortable for long periods of time.

I’m starting my JMT thru-hike in just over a month and just curious how those of you who backpack with DSLRs do it. It’s not the end of the world to keep it in my pack by any means, but if anyone’s doing something cooler, I’m all ears

Clue M
    BPL Member

@cluemonger

When I bring a big camera and tripod, I carry the camera in the pack and have to dig it out for every shot. A point and shoot/iphone on the shoulder strap supplements the big camera for when the situation doesn’t feel worth the hassle of setting up the tripod.

Noah K
    BPL Member

@nkassos

Locale: Washington

There isn’t a really great solution.  Peak designs makes a camera clip that can be used to carry it almost anywhere when you want fast access: https://www.peakdesign.com/capture

For storage, I use an f-stop small shallow case.  With a panel loading backpack, you can get pretty easy access (I recently started using a seak outside exposure for this).  You can also achieve reasonably convenient access by putting it in the sleeping bag compartment of most bags, but then your expensive camera is sitting on the bottom of your bag which always scares me.

Greg Deitrick
    BPL Member

@gld123

I use a top-loading camera bag and strap it to my front in some form or fashion.  My smaller bag is just big enough for the camera and attached lens; that rides well enough hanging off my hip belt.  My larger bag holds an additional zoom lens as well the camera and attached lens, but because of its larger size rides better hanging off my shoulder straps using s biners.

Rodney Ackerman
    BPL Member

@uncleair

Locale: Great Lakes

I like this method. A bit pricey, but found it quite functional. I hope this link works as I find it cumbersome to paste. Obviously not a frequent poster/paster.

YouTube video

Anthony F
    Spectator

@tflaris

Mike In Socal
    BPL Member

@rcmike

Locale: California

Check out the Strap Shot from Cotton Carrier.  It will hold a dSLR on your shoulder strap.  Just rotate the camera 90º and lift out the camera to use it.

Julie G
    BPL Member

@julie_g

Locale: Norway

I’ve also been using the Peak Design Capture Camera Clip Pro with my Canon 5D3 and have so far been enjoying it. I’ve used it with a full backpack and a nearly empty backpack, most recently on a 5 day hike through Dovre and Rondane National Parks in Norway. With a full backpack (20-30 lbs) it was really great, easy to mount and dismount, and it felt secure through the day. With an empty backpack it was a bit wobbly, but not too uncomfortable for me to put it away. You do have to tighten everything up once in a while, especially if you’ve been walking on scree and bouncing from rock to rock like I had to.

Michael Schlesselmann
    BPL Member

@mschless

Locale: Southern Los Padres National Forest

I used this knock off version of the peak design clip for the first time at the beginning of July for a weeklong trip in the sierras. When I noticed a lot of dust accumulating around the camera I wrapped a buff around it while it hung on my shoulder.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W5302US/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I attached it to a piece of webbing that runs down the length of my shoulder strap so that the lense faced down. The release was smooth to pull the camera off, but putting it back in the clip was a little finnicky. At $25 its much cheaper than the peak design and seemed to work out fine.

Colin M
    BPL Member

@cmcvey23

Just switched to using the Zpacks chest pack (about 2oz) and a tyvek bubble mailer to protect my camera. Extra lenses packed with my clothing and my Siuri 1205x and RRS BH25 in the side pouch of my ULA Circuit. I much prefer to keep my camera on my chest for “snapshots” with something like a 28mm lens attached vs. packing it away.

Backing up a bit, I generally pack a Fujifilm X-Pro2 and a couple lenses as total weight ends up being multiple pounds lighter and far more compact than my D750 even with the lighter 1.8g lenses. The tiny filter size saves a lot of weight vs larger filters for the DSLR. Image quality from the D750 is absolutely tops but the X-pro2 is no slouch. I was carrying in a Click chest pack because they were on amazon for $1 (no joke, $1). It’s about 9.5oz and wouldn’t fit a DSLR though so I switched to the Zpacks. If you like more padding, I’ve heard good things about the Tamarac 3330, it’s light and fits a dslr.

Wouldn’t be right not to post a pic from a trip a couple weeks ago…

John
    BPL Member

@dyneq

I have been using the StrapShot from Cotton Carrier for a few years now.

Pros:

• It couldn’t be easier to grab it and be ready to shoot in seconds.
    • It really can’t fall out of the holster accidentally (they include a safety tether, but I trust the holster and myself enough not to use it).
    • You can still use a tripod.
    • Includes a nice hand strap.
    • Absolutely no signs of wear after pretty rugged use. Well stitched.

Cons:

• You can feel the holster where it wraps around the shoulder strap. It doesn’t hurt or anything, but it’s noticeable. If I have my heavier and longer telephoto lens mounted, it does become irritating after a while.
    • Somewhat pricey considering what it is. However, given how well it has worked and its durability, I’d buy one again.

Other observations:

• I do need to come up with a way to protect it during light rain. I guess I could just put a waterproof bag over it and cinch it.
    • The mechanism works with their (proprietary) products.

I used it for a day hike today, actually. Here’s a macro shot:

Nick Otis
    BPL Member

@notis

Locale: CA

Haven’t gotten one yet, but I was eyeing the same solution that Colin uses with the ZPacks front pouch. I think I read in TrailGroove that other folks use that too.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools