Topic

To line or not to line Tyvek for front of poncho, looking for feedback

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear To line or not to line Tyvek for front of poncho, looking for feedback

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

As soon as i get some 1443R Tyvek, i plan to make the front of a poncho out of it, with some kind of air permeable siliconized nylon as the outside fabric, to add tear resistance, abrasion resistance, puncture resistance, UV resistance, and to break initial force of rain for the Tyvek underneath.  The Tyvek below is meant to be a decently air permeable, highly WR “membrane” like layer.  Both layers do not require re-applying a DWR.  The concept is to get maximum breathability), with maximum, practical protection and at least 1500 mm combined HH (umbrella is certainly more breathable, but doesn’t always provide enough protection and isn’t always practical).

I’m wondering if i should line the Tyvek with something, say like nylon tulle, to protect it from inner abrasion wear?   Tulle is pretty light weight–never measured it myself, but i’ve read on here that it weighs approximately .3 oz/yd2.  Considering that i will probably be using less than a yard of material for the front of the poncho per poncho (i’m making one for my spouse also), it wouldn’t be much of a weight penalty. I wouldn’t expect the Tulle to last as long as the rest of it, as it may catch on some parts of ones clothing system, but it should last long enough to provide a greater longevity to the Tyvek layer.  It could also be cut out and replaced as needed.

But maybe it’s not really all that necessary or helpful to begin with?  WWBPL do if using the same materials?

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Funny thing is, Tulle is remarkably wear-resistant. It’s usually a single strand nylon fibre, quite coarse. I use it for mossie netting on my blue tunnel tent, and it has lasted for years.

All that said, I doubt you need it as an inner layer.

cheers

Anonymous
    Inactive

Hi Roger, thank you for the feedback.  Agreed–Tulle does seem to be pretty tough/durable for it’s low weight.  More specifically i was worried that it might catch on windjacket zipper, and get ripped up from that.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Zippers – yeah. No zippers on my blue tent!

Cheers

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools