Topic

Titanium 450 Travel Mug – Anyone find a suitable lid?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Titanium 450 Travel Mug – Anyone find a suitable lid?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Michael M
    BPL Member

@murph

Since I main just boil water and make coffee I use this as my pot/mug. Like to find a lid. Toaks makes a 80mm lid…but this cup is 82mm. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks for your help!

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

. Carbon Fiber Lids .

Eugene Hollingsworth
    BPL Member

@geneh_bpl

Locale: Mid-Minnesota

I cut this out (using a pair of scissors) of a disposable pie tin. Fits inside so condensation stays in the cup not on the outside, somewhat wind resistant, and flexes to fit down into the cup where you can squash more stuff in and save some space.  3 tabs will work as good as 4.

Michael M
    BPL Member

@murph

Huh…that’s a pretty good idea…

Franco Darioli
    Spectator

@franco

Locale: Gauche, CU.

I have one of the CF lids in the link from Link.
    Very light , does not heat up so you can pick it up with your bare hands.
    On my 550 ml mug it sits tight, I don’t know about the other sizes.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I like that pie-tin lid. Very clever design.

Another alternative is to take your cup to the grocery store and see if possibly there are various food products with lids that will fit. Buy these food products and try the lids.

Also, if your trip is pretty short, like a week or so, you can just fold over a few layers of heavy duty aluminum foil and reuse a lid made of foil pressed onto your cup. It’ll last pretty long.

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Locale: Boulder

I did Piper’s grocery store hunt a few years ago. That’s when my grocery store employee pals came to see what a true geek I was (am). The problem with the plastic lids (like the ones for Planter’s nuts, Crisco cans, etc) is that they don’t hold up to the heat of boiling water well. They will still stay on, but they become sort of soft and pliable, which is reversible when they cool back down. You might want to check to be sure they are made of food-safe plastic. I had one that I hadn’t put a vent hole in which popped off when the unattended pot of water boiled.

My main use for these now is to place on a small cup to pre-soak my goodies and keep the small critters from messing with it. My favorite one is from I think a Planter’s nut can. It precisely fits my Jetboil Sol, and also my preferred pre-soak cup (the Evernew 400). And as fate would have it, Josh Leavitt’s JB CF lid (see Link’s link) also fits the EN 400 cup. So both lids fit both the pot and cup – gotta love that.

Bob Shuff
    BPL Member

@slbear

Locale: SoCal

<p class=”bbp-user-nicename”>@zia-grill-guy,</p>
    I want to see photos of that interchangeable pot/mug and lids thing!

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Sure, Bob.

Or, if you prefer:

Stan B
    BPL Member

@stanbiker

Mini Bull designs makes a lid that fits

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Gary, that’s a nice looking windscreen. How does that collapse?

Gary Dunckel
    BPL Member

@zia-grill-guy

Matt, the screen, the bottom ring, and the base disk, all roll up and fit around the JB pot inside the CF stuff sack I made custom for it all. The plastic disk at the base is just for truck camping, which works great for keeping everything concise and tidy while in use, but it isn’t really necessary.

Graham F
    BPL Member

@02174424

Locale: Victoria-Southeast Australia

I tried to upload some pictures I took of a free and SUL solution I came up with last week- couldn’t do it.

Here is the link to my handiwork- I am Lamont in the posts .

http://bushwalk.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=58&t=29576

One pictured is two pieces of a beer can slotted, no weight on my scale and fits inside the cup-No cost.

The second is a (light steel) wafer tin cut to fit over the cup, the edges are bent over using (tapping bending) with a wooden handled steak knife. Fits and lightly snaps on.

No cost-drank the beer with the wafers!!

Kevin Manley
    BPL Member

@manleyk

Locale: Denver-ish

I use tobacco tin lid; fits perfectly, and holds the stove, second cup, lighter, and spork inside.

Rick Reno
    BPL Member

@scubahhh

Locale: White Mountains, mostly.

One of those little stretchy silicon lids from the grocery store that are meant for resealing dog or cat food cans? I have a couple that fir my Toaks perfectly and they don’t melt (so far)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools