Topic

Timberline Trail / Eagle Cap Wilderness / Other Four Day NW Loop Recommendations

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Timberline Trail / Eagle Cap Wilderness / Other Four Day NW Loop Recommendations

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Gerry B.
    BPL Member

@taedawood

Locale: Louisiana, USA

Five of us (all 60 years old) get together each Labor Day week for a four day / three night reunion hike in the northwest.  We come from various parts of the country (I am from Louisiana) and Shanghai as well.  We are all experienced hikers, having started hiking together over forty years ago.  However, three of us are usually in pretty good shape (lightweight gear) and two pull up the rear (traditional weight packs and slow).  Hence we have to plan our hikes somewhat around their capabilities, which usually doesn’t exceed 10 – 12 miles per day, depending on the terrain.

We have done parts of the PCT, the Olympics, and the Alpine Lakes Wilderness.  I want to offer the group a couple of options for a 30 to 40 mile loop in either Washington or Oregon but preferably in an area  we have not hiked in yet.  Two places I have begun to research is the Timberline Trail around Mount Hood and Eagle Cap Wilderness in the Wallowas.   I particularly like the Wallowas since the chance of extended rain is somewhat less than in the Olympics or Cascades.

We usually start on Labor Day or the day after.  Ideally we don’t want an area that is overly crowded.  I would appreciate any advice regarding these areas as well as any other loop options that would fit our criteria.

Link .
    BPL Member

@annapurna

WALLOWA RIVER LOOP TRAIL . but it is popular

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

Wallowas!  Pick something to do there. The terrain can be steep, but man, what a beautiful place.

If you took 4 days on the Timberline be sure to have some day hikes in mind! (or alcohol…cajun, right? ;) )  Its pretty easy.

EDIT> Maybe something around Mt Jefferson/ Jeff Park?  I dont know that area (havent even been there :(   but somebody must know something!!

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Ha!  I disagree about Mt Hood being easy.  (JE is a youngster, I’m 63 so have better perspective : )  Lots of elevation gain.  Now the Eliot crossing is back, it’s 38.3 miles.  Labor Day would be perfect.  Rain is rare, although last year it rained some in September.  http://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guide/Timberline_Trail_around_Mount_Hood_Hike.  You may well run into me doing it : )

Wallowas would be good too.  That looks like a pretty good loop.  Make sure and do Eagle Cap while you’re at it, a nice trail to the summit.  Another loop would be up East Lostine, down West Lostine, which is only 20 miles, but you could go up Eagle Cap and or go over to Glacier Lake to add some mileage.

Gerry B.
    BPL Member

@taedawood

Thanks for the feedback.

Link…that hike description from CleverHiker is where I first got the idea for the Wallowas…thanks.

JE…we all grew up back east so I have no cajun in me…but I married one!  Due to weight I con’t bring any libations but the slow poke from Shanghai always brings a flask of very good whiskey.  Maybe that’s why he’s so slow :-).

Jerry…thanks for the link to the oregonhikers field guide.  If you, an experienced hiker, may very well be doing it then, it has to be a good choice!   As far as the Wallowas go, I really am intrigued by them.  And four of us can fly just as easily into either Portland or Boise as our normal Seattle destination to still get there within a day.  The only one I have to persuade is the  “local” Seattle guy who has a much further drive.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

In the wallowas we did a loop that was from the lake to Aneroid lake, over Tenderfoot and … Polaris pass to Frasier lake, then back down the valley to Ice lake with a day hike to the Matterhorn.

Also, Echo lake, in the next Valley over is really cool, but the trail is practically a goat trail for 5 miles.

Gerry B.
    BPL Member

@taedawood

Jeff,

Without looking at my map at home, how many miles was that loop?

Gerry

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

mmm like 40ish?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

I think maybe I’d do the Wallowas because of alpine granite areas.

I’ve gone around Mt Hood about 9 times in the last 12 years.  And as many other trips up one side or another.  Very nice, but I like it because it’s convenient.  Probably not quite the most scenic in the area?

I like hiking around the Three Sisters maybe a little better.  Not so many trees blocking the view.  Lots of different alternatives.  48 miles, but if you cut between South and Middle Sisters it’s 35 miles, which is more scenic in my opinion http://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guide/Trail_around_Three_Sisters_Hike

Gerry B.
    BPL Member

@taedawood

Jerry,

Thanks for the tips.

Gerry

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools