Topic

TiGoat Small Wifi stove impressions

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Winter Hiking TiGoat Small Wifi stove impressions

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

My big tipi is huge compared to the Silvertip but I find the big difference between any of my stove heated tents is having a double skin and high-low venting. It isn’t ultra light in any sense but it is strong unless you get a bad thaw. My tent [ which I am trying to sell to get the bigger version] is the Helsport Varanger Camp with the Helsport stove.

My observation is that you really need a solid waterproof floor which is also a vapour barrier to minimise condensation, which means you also need to include a good heat shield for the tent floor

Steven T
    BPL Member

@daddy-longlegs

Edward, how big is your tipi? What size do you want to go to? I completely agree about having a vapor barrier on the ground, enormous amounts of moisture can come out of the Earth, especially around here. I had a couple of ground cloths down, polycryo, but they weren’t well-fitted. 2 good things about the Silvertip are that it has 2 doors on opposite sides, and double zippers so it’s relatively easy to get high low venting. Condensation is much worse down low. Seek outside offers liners for down low on their bigger models. I believe the original teepees of the Great Plains also had liners that ran up to about head high. Those were typically much bigger structures, with poles that ran over 20 feet long. They weighed a little more than my 40 oz tent!

Why is a big thaw hard on your tent? Do your stakes pull out?

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

Australia, so a big thaw turns all the snow to water and yes all the pegs pull out. Snow can go from 2 metres deep to zero in a day or so and then back again with the next storm front.

What my winter camping area needs are big tent platforms like they do in Scandinavia

I got the 8 to 10 person version I need the 12 to 14 person version for the extra height/ headroom and because the stove takes up as much real room as 2 people

https://www.helsport.no/varanger-camp

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

TRUE hot tenters gather at the “Winter Trekking” forum/site. But hey, ya need a canvas tent and a pulk (plastic sled) to pull all the gear like heavy tent, saws and 18″ camp axes. (Don’t ask how I know.)

Me? I’m a “cold camper”. All I’ve ever used inside a tent was a candle lantern or tiny oil lantern (the now deceased “Candoil” lanterns). two of them and a bit of body heat will warm up a 2 person tent nicely when it’s 5 F. outside.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Australia, so a big thaw turns all the snow to water and yes all the pegs pull out.
    We were camped on snow at Mt Tate one spring. We spent most of the third night on top of our SBs rather than inside them. In the morning, the only snow around was under our tent: all else was grass. We packed up our skis and went home.

Passing, on our way down, a guy coming up wearing big plastic T3 boots and carrying big Tele skis. Poor guy.

Cheers

Viewing 5 posts - 26 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools