Topic

Tights: logistical question

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tights: logistical question

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Bob Kerner
    BPL Member

@bob-kerner

I hiked a tiny section of the AT in Vermont today and noticed a lot of people in shorts or shorts & tights. It was low 60s with periods of light rain. The people who were obviously thru hiking or planning to spend the night were more often in shorts than the day hikers, identified by copious amounts of cotton and denim.  I exercise ‘hot’ whether it’s hiking or cycling I’m red faced and perspiring after ten minutes so seeing all those hikers in shorts made me realize I maybe missing an opportunity to regulate heat better and shed some some weight.

Hiking in shorts with a wind pant back up +/- a pair of tights for thermal protection makes a lot of sense to me. Here’s what I don’t understand: do people just pull off the shorts (get naked from waist down assuming you’re using LW running shorts) to add the tights? Seems like a potential modesty issue, being buck naked adjusting layers like that.

How is it done?

alternatively: does anyone use cycling leggings which are just pull over legs (no crotch or waistband) Along with shorts?

Ito Jakuchu
    BPL Member

@jakuchu

Locale: Japan

I have often cut the liners out of my shorts so wear thin baselayer shorts from uniqlo as underwear. If I need to put tights on yes I just put off my running shorts and put on my baselayer tights over my underwear shorts and add the running shorts.

This would be too warm except that I never wear the tights unless it starts to get below 5C/40F, and because my baselayer shorts and tights are both super thin.

I used to have cycling leg sleeves from Montbell and I prefer that system. But my legs grew out of them and they’re too tight around my quads now (moved closer to the mountain). My full baselayer tights are also actually lighter than the leg sleeves.

michael adamski
    BPL Member

@mikeadamski

I often use cycling arm warmer sleeves, and find them to work well. I’ve attempted to use leg warmers while backpacking, as they have always worked well for me for cycling, but haven’t had as favorable experience. With hiking vs. cycling, the leg warmers won’t stay up on my chicken legs.

Instead, I use Ito’s method. My boxer briefs are more modest than some swimsuits.

Edward John M
    BPL Member

@moondog55

We are all naked under our clothes.

If it’s cool enough for longjohns they stay on all day, if I only need full leg protection until I warm up then pants over shorts. the shorts weigh a paltry 120 grams with the support mesh inner The long pants I have never weighed but not much more, cheap Uniqlo stuff

John Papini
    BPL Member

@jpapini

I hike in shorts and when I need extra warmth or bug protection will wear wind pants over my shorts. I sleep in thermals, which I don’t like to hike in because when clean they protect my down bag and also give me something to look forward to in camp, however on a few very cold mornings I have started out wearing my tights and taken them off when I warm up. I just take them off and throw on my shorts, nekked for all to see. Check your modesty at the trailhead.

Cheers!

Todd T
    BPL Member

@texasbb

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Partly echoing several above: First, I’m not going to wear baselayer bottoms unless it’s pretty darn cold, so I won’t be taking them off. Second, for cold mornings that morph into nice days I prefer zip-offs. Third, if at all possible I want to hike in shorts, and then either change to bottoms+whatever in camp or (usually) just slip wind pants on. It’s got to be below maybe 35 to 40F before I’ll burden myself with long pants of any kind while moving. Finally, I mainly use baselayer bottoms for sleeping, partly for warmth but mostly to protect the bag from my filthy self.

Tipi Walter
    BPL Member

@tipiwalter

I hiked with a dog for 15 years and he was totally naked the whole time.

Most of the time I backpack in shorts with bare legs, even in winter.  When that doesn’t work I wear my merino leggings under my shorts—the “thruhiker hippie look”.

The problem with wearing leggings is they are my pajamas too at night in the bag so they can never be worn hiking in any kind of rain.  If it’s cold and raining I wear my OR Foray rain pants over my underwear and my shorts over the rain pants—to provide pockets for my trail snacks, hand pruners and camera.

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

If it’s cool, I’ll start in shorts but with a puffy on a chest because that’s easier to remove once I warm up.

If it’s cold, then I might have tights or long polypro underwear under my shorts and a puffy (or more) on my trunk.

If it’s really cold, then long polypro on my legs, under shorts and all of that under wind pants.  Then I as I warm up, I remove the wind pants.

Yes, the tights are more of a bother to remove and potentially a modesty issue.  But they are better than anything else on your legs at drying as you wear them, wether from being wetted by rain, sweat or stream crossings.

Shorts over the tights give you pockets, modesty, and they tolerate sitting on rough rocks and tree trunks much better.

Paul McLaughlin
    BPL Member

@paul-1

For me, if I wear my long johns under my shorts, they do not come off during the day. My approach is that I start out in either shorts or shorts/longs or one of the two with wind pants over. So only the wind pants come off or go on, the base stays the same. Spring ski trips, for instance, are normally shorts and longs with the wind pants over to start the day. If it gets warm enough, the wind pants come off; and may go back on at lunch or if weather changes.The longs do not come off ever during the day on a ski trip, as they are sunscreen as well as a layer – I get mine in white for that reason, though they are hard to find sometimes. Same thing for a fall backpacking trip.

Summer is normally shorts all day, wind pants in camp before I start hiking, and sometimes they go on for lunch if it’s windy and cool. Longs are just for in camp on a summer trip for me.

Don A.
    BPL Member

@amrowinc

Locale: Southern California

i’ve tried tights over the years but never learned to love them for any condition I’ve been in.  I wouldn’t get particularly concerned with modesty on the trail.  I figure if someone is offended by what they see it’s simple enough for them to look the other way or to step behind a rock or tree.

I do love my wind pants though and use them if it’s really cold when hiking. They’re easy enough to take off when things warm up, they have zips at lower area.  I wear them at night if I expect it to get really cold and I’ll put them on if I’m taking a break on a pass or for lunch when it’s cold.  The same goes for my wind shirt that I always carry. On a long hike they do serve to maintain modesty while doing ones laundry in town.  Tights would work also but what are you going to wear when you wash them on the trail?

Tights are certainly heavier than my wind pants and aren’t near as versatile in my opinion.

Jo P.
    BPL Member

@sedimentary

Locale: Denver, CO

Clothing choice is challenging for me because I burn up when I’m exerting myself and freeze when I’m sitting still, even when bone dry. I carry warmer (and heavier) clothing overall because of the latter issue. I love hiking in running shorts, and pull fleece pants and rain pants over them when in camp, or for the first half-hour of hiking if it’s especially cold. I almost never wear the fleece pants without the rain pants, to keep them clean and dry. This is probably too heavyweight to be a solution for you, but it does avoid modesty issues.

avi sito
    BPL Member

@avisito

Paul S
    BPL Member

@pula58

cool with possibility of precipitation: Then I wear lightweight (150) merino long underwear bottoms. That way, I can slap on my rain pants if the precip starts and be relatively comfortable.

Wearing trekking pants under rain pains is not comfortable for me.

If it’s hot: Then, shorts alone, or, if too much sun exposure and not wanting to coat my legs with sunscreen (and be all sticky later): Trekking pants-with either zips at knees to provide ventilation, or highly breathable fabric. (Actual vents work better)

Katherine .
    BPL Member

@katherine

Locale: pdx

This is the case for the hiking kilt/skirt/dress. I mainly use my running tights / fishing dress combo  for shoulder season/winter day hikes.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

When cold and windy in the morning I often do Capilene over shorts, and am very willing to stop and take them off, no different than stopping to dig a hole and do my business. In the picture below you can see it was cold and windy based on how everyone is dressed. I’m in the middle. The set up is planned…

as it got warm the wool gloves liners and down vest were removed, then the capilene bottoms later on, and lastly the Houdini even later. By noon I was hiking in a T-shirt and shorts.

Other times I wear wind pants over my shorts… it all depends upon the conditions. Some folks like to start hiking in the cold with minimal clothes and warm up as they build up their internal engine. I don’t mind spending a few seconds here and there to adjust layers.

Bob Kerner
    BPL Member

@bob-kerner

Thank you all for feedback. Having spent the weekend hiking in shorts I now understand the appeal. It was cool (48-50) yesterday and I needed my pull on cycling leggings to get started, only to discover the spandex band was stretched out so they sagged down to my calves. Quite a sight! I ditched them after an hour of pulling them up over and over.

I would have been too warm with them all day but needed something for the lunch break, so I’ll be looking for some wind pants to pull on during breaks.

Any suggestions for affordable, light weight wind pants for someone 6’2” and about 200 pounds? Use as described above: pull on during breaks and setting up camp

The Arcteryx pants that my local REI stocks are both over-built and damn expensive. Not to mention that large is too short and XL is too big in waist.

Thanks again.

Nick Gatel
    BPL Member

@ngatel

I’ve been very happy with the Montbell Tachyon pants, which I’ve had for several years.

Daryl and Daryl
    BPL Member

@lyrad1

Locale: Pacific Northwest, USA, Earth

My favorite wind pants are used ones from 2nd hand store.  All nylon, extra large size for comfort, used to get rid of any water proofing, black for covering dirt, no liners..

Warm, light and fast drying.  Any of the common brands work (e.g. nike, addidis, etc. ).

Getting harder to find.  I think they were most popular decades ago.

By the way, I find very thin tights to be colder than no tights at all when used under wind pants.  I think the tights compress the insulating hair on my legs without enough insulating value of there own to make up for the loss.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools