Topic

Tic Tac pocket survival kit – what would you include?

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums Philosophy & Technique Tic Tac pocket survival kit – what would you include?

Viewing 18 posts - 76 through 93 (of 93 total)
  • Author
    Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Just out of curiosity:
    For how many years have you carried the mirror and the whistle?
    How often have you used either one in that time?

Cheers

Jasper O
    BPL Member

@jasperado

I’ve purchased fire insurance for my house for 25 years – my house has never burned down.

Every car I buy has airbags, even though I tell the dealer I’ve never needed them.

Murali C
    BPL Member

@mchinnak

made me laugh – that was a funny retort:-)

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Poo pooing a hikers safety gear is bad karma.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

A new restaurant just opened named “Karma”.  There’s no menu…You just get what you deserve ;)

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I have performed some editing in this thread, removing what could potentially be triggering comments for some people. None of the removed material was posted out of malice or anything.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I agree with Jasper’s response to this and I’ll add that I have used a whistle several times while hiking. It’s never been in an emergency but whistles are useful when you want to get the attention of a hiking partner that is hundreds of yards away.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Just out of curiosity:

In point of fact, that was a genuine question!
    There is nothing in that posting which was poo-pooing anyone, nor was there any insult. I asked a question.

By way of further explanation: mirrors are of very little use in the Australian bush because of the forest cover. For the same reason, the sound of whistles do not travel very far: they get muffled. But experiences in other places may well be different. So, I asked.

Cheers

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Roger, my comment was related to what was deleted by Matthew K. moderation.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

” of very little use in the Australian bush because of the forest cover”.

Shows what I know about the physical geography of Oz. I thought once you got more than 150 kilometers inland from the east coast and south of the tropical areas around Darwin it was mostly semi-arid to arid. Never pictured it as thick canopy to where you can’t even get a mirror flash through to a passing airplane.

Signal mirrors have been an essential mainstay of survival kits since forever. I’ve seen some small mirrors glued to the outside Tic Tac kits. They aren’t the breakable glass kind though. Mirror flashes can be seen for over 100 miles in the right conditions. A popular signal mirror these days is the StarFlash with the hole in the middle. Measures 1.5″ X 2″ and weighs about 12 g. The short 1 minute video link below (bottom) shows how it’s used to aim at potential SAR.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=survival+mirrors&docid=607998581376437040&mid=3F77E4D098917411A9D83F77E4D098917411A9D8&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

To be sure, once you get well inland, into what we call ‘the outback’, it can be a different story. Middle of Australia and you have the desert, and a very nice Larapinta Trail (done some years ago).

But most bushwalkers (our term) live near the East coast, and parts of that can be very heavily tree-covered, or at least scrub-covered.

Which may explain our preference for having morning tea and lunch on the edge of a rocky (sandstone) scarp.

Cheers

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

” the Australian bush because of the forest cover”
    I know this to be false because I saw in a documentary that all of Australia is arid and open country:

Well, okay, it was a movie starring an American and a Brit, but still . . . .

In 48 years of hiking and backpacking trips I have used a mirror and flagged down a passing 747 exactly, hmmm, zero times.  But a tiny mirror has been handy a few times to deal with a splinter in my cheek (either type), checking my cheeks for sunburn or ticks, and explaining why no one cars were picking me up while hitch-hiking (dunking my head in a stream fixed that).

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Nice hat, Roger! (says the pot to the kettle, while wearing a Sunday Afternoon dork hat).

I don’t know how ‘Stralians translate that phrase…(“says the burnt biscuit to the barbie”…?).

Dave @ Oware
    BPL Member

@bivysack-com

Locale: East Washington

Have to be pretty thick to not flash a mirror thru?

Had an employee who did helicopter logging in Alaska. He described very heavy timber, yet the way they signaled where to be picked up each day was with a mirror. And the pilots gave them a hard time if they flashed more than once.

Radio, lunch, Deet and a 44 special tucked in his hip pocket rounded out his survival gear.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

David, I think only UPS flies 747’s nowadays and they won’t even stop to provide you any help. It’s all business with them. They’re a cold corporate entity that will just let you die out there in the wilderness.

jscott
    BPL Member

@book

Locale: Northern California

Southwest lands passenger jets in the John Muir wilderness and elsewhere if they detect a mirror flash. Often, it turns out to be some kid playing around. It’s hard to taxi on the terrain around 1000 island lake…of course, it’s a moot point once you’ve crashed into Ritter trying to land for a rescue…

David Thomas
    BPL Member

@davidinkenai

Locale: North Woods. Far North.

Monte, lots of flavors of 747s still coming through ANC. 
    It’s how your laptop gets quickly from Shanghai where they’re assembled to SEA, ORD, LAX, LGA, etc.  Stopping in Anchorage lets them take on fuel (the laptops don’t care that it isn’t a non-stop flight) and to trans-ship between planes.

I feel pretty small in a twin-prop commuter plane looking level across at the lug nuts on their tires.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Have to be pretty thick to not flash a mirror thru?
    Yup!

It can be quite thick.
    Can be a bit dim inside some of the forest too.

Cheers

Viewing 18 posts - 76 through 93 (of 93 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools