Topic

ThruNite Ti3 Flashlight Review

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable ThruNite Ti3 Flashlight Review

Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

Ha, ha…I hear that. I headed out away from the tent one night and had taken no more than ten or twelve steps and almost stepped on a black bear. Fortunately he ran like hell…I was shocked to find him so close to camp and curled up sleeping…I just stood there with my flashlight on him. What IS that? Then he started moving…

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

That’s a first. I’ve not heard of anyone stepping ON a bear.

Dave @ Oware
    BPL Member

@bivysack-com

Locale: East Washington

I have had one of the little thru nite lights for about a year. It is the model with just one brightness.   I like simplicity.

It was about 9 or 10 dollars, I use the free old timey heavy duty  batteries from Harbor Freight for everyday use. Put a little mitten clip on it with a loop of thin cord so it clips to my key ring. It can also clip to a cord around my neck or to an overhead tarp cord.  I use it everyday retrieving inventory in a back room. Those little zinc batteries last about 2 months. I would guess a lithium would last all year at that rate.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

After ~6 months of using this flashlight daily walking the dog late at night and it’s starting to flicker sometimes when I turn it on. If I screw it in/out I can find a spot where it seems to work better. This does not inspire confidence.

Matt Swider
    Spectator

@sbslider

Locale: Santa Barbara

Well, it is a mechanical switch.  The body of the light carries current.  The bare aluminum can get oxidized, I have found the need to clean periodically.  It is also possible the “driver”, which is the circuit board the battery + terminal contacts, is a bit loose and needs to be screwed in a bit.  I have not had that happen to mine,   but your 6 months of daily use is >> than my 3 weeks on the trail.

6 months of daily use.  Any maintenance, other than recharging/replacing batteries, of any sort yet?  If not, I would say that’s pretty good for an inexpensive LED light.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

No maintenance. I didn’t think a little flashlight needed any maintenance. What do you recommend?

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

“6 months of daily use.  Any maintenance, other than recharging/replacing batteries, of any sort yet?  If not, I would say that’s pretty good for an inexpensive LED light.”

I use it in the morning sometimes too. Let’s say six months, twice daily. 6x30x2=360 uses. Each one involves turning it on/off/on and then off a few minutes later… that’s 4 turns per use so 1440 cycles. Let’s double that because maybe my estimation is way off. 3000 cycles of a switch is less than I would expect. Maybe my expectations are unrealistic…

Matt Swider
    Spectator

@sbslider

Well said, you are correct, any actual component “switch” should last many more than 3000 cycles.  But that is not the switch that is in your light.  You have an bare aluminum cylinder, which will oxidize over time, and a bare copper trace on a circuit board.  When you put these together, current flows.  When they are no longer in contact, the current stops.

But if this was the problem in your case, the light would not just flicker, but probably change modes (get brighter or dimmer).  You did not describe that, so perhaps there is something different going on besides an oxidized aluminum cylinder.  I was just trying to provide a helpful suggestion, but perhaps its not helpful after all.

This may be helpful, that is I have had a failure with two other Thrunite lights.  One was a Ti-3, the other a AA light.  I got free replacements for both when I contacted their customer service.   I have heard others have not had the same result.  Maybe you’ll get a replacement that will last longer, maybe not.

I will add that at the price point of the item purchased, the quality is not going to be a million cycles.  I don’t have a recommendation for that, even at a higher price point.  Today’s consumer goods are just not as robust as in years gone by.

I hope you find a better solution for you and your use, when you do I would love to hear about it too.  :-)

Bob K
    BPL Member

@seventy2002

Maintenance? Use Caig Labs DexIt on screw threads and contacts.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Excellent insight that it’s not switching modes when it flickers. I would think that means the flicker is happening between the bulb and the circuit board rather than between the battery and the circuitry.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

The positive end of the battery presses on a gold-plated circle on the PCB. I suspect that the gold plating may be wearing a bit thin in places. Always assuming I have the right torch in mind!

Compared to the previous generation of ‘brand-name’ torches, these Asian ones really are ‘inexpensive’.

Cheers

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

With the switching, there is likely a capacitor in there, probably with a resistor on it so it looks like a bit of memory…it “remembers” to switch modes screwing it off/on and it doesn’t always default to firefly mode. A brief flicker might not discharge the electronics enough to switch modes.

As far as oxidation inside, You could try a little grease. The spring/body side might be tight. You might need to make a tool to reach it(or use a long nosed “needle” nosed pliers if you have one,) but often just spinning the spring(if possible) will resume a solid contact. A dollop of grease in the bottom will prevent most forms of oxidation going forward. A small bit of grease on the top will also prevent any oxidation, especially if the gold is worn away. I know, “Grease my flashlight” sounds stupid.

Matt Swider
    Spectator

@sbslider

I stand corrected.  I agree with James Marco.  I was using another light recently that changes modes by interrupting the power to the light, and it was flickering a bit just sitting on the table.  So one does not need to break the connection to see an LED light “flicker”, but just a poor connection somewhere can do it.

Would be curious to know if matthew k has tried any cleaning ideas presented yet, and what the results are.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I have not. It’s been a crazy week.

Viewing 14 posts - 26 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools