Topic

Three Sisters Loop with 13yr Old

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Three Sisters Loop with 13yr Old

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Al K
    BPL Member

@aloncc

Locale: South Florida

I am taking my 13yr old son on his first big backpacking trip starting Sunday 8/30 and ending Thursday 9/3. We plan on starting around 5PM from Pole Creek Trailhead heading towards Camp Lake on a figure 8 loop (via Chamber Lakes) including a summit of South Sister and cross country from Green Lakes to Camp Lake. I have a few questions that it would be greatly appreciated if people have some insights to share. Thanks in advance!

– Is a bear canister needed or is a rat sack (metal mesh bag) sufficient?

– Anything dicey about the cross country sections from Camp Lake to PCT and Green Lakes to Camp Lake? In generally I stick to trails though I am comfortable using GAIA app on my phone.

– I’ll be camping Sun-Wed nights; will it be an issue getting a spot at Morraine/Green/Camp Lakes if we pull in after 6PM (looks like only can camp in designated spots there)

– Are side trips to Eileen/Husband and North Mathieu Lakes worth it?

-Better to summit South Sister from the trail from Morraine or Green Lakes? From Green Lakes it looks like its more of a use trail than official. We’ll probably leave our gear by our lake campsite.

– Anything else I should consider?

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

Great idea

Check out https://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guide/Trail_around_Three_Sisters_Hike and https://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guide/Camp_Lake_to_Green_Lakes_Pass_Add-on_Hike and https://www.oregonhikers.org/field_guide/Camp_Lake_from_Pole_Creek_Hike

No bear canister needed.  Rodents are a risk so don’t leave food on the ground, hang it a few feet off the ground.

Camp Lake to PCT – a few steep snow places but not too bad.  Safe run-out if you start sliding.  The “trail” is a bit hard to find at places.  Look at those links for details.

Green Lakes to Camp Lake – same except more adventurous, fewer people

I don’t camp at Moraine or Green Lakes, too many people.  Try to find an alternative.  You might find no designated sites available.

North Matthieu Lake not worth going to – crowded, boring.  I think Eileen/Husband are the same.

I’ve only summited South Sister from Moraine.  It’s like a trail, especially where it starts at Moraine.  There’s a sign on the main trail that identifies the climbing route trail.  0.1 mile southwest of Moraine Lake, and 300 feet elevation above.  In the first 1/4 mile are some excellent campsites, outside of the designated camping zone.  You’d have to get drinking water from the outflow of Moraine Lake.  Or there’s a stream that runs north of the lake.

When you pass Green Lakes, get drinking water, haul water 1/2 mile to the pass above Green Lakes, nice campsites around there.

Along the 1.6 mile section at 7400 feet between Green Lakes and Camp Lake is some excellent camping.  Chambers Lakes west of the pass has some nice camping.

If you see me say hi

Al K
    BPL Member

@aloncc

Locale: South Florida

Thank you for all the recommendations – this is gold! I’ll be saving your links on my phone for offline use as a field guide.

I’ll be asking anyone that looks like you if they are Jerry.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools