Topic

Thoughts on This Tarp for Dining Fly

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Scouting Philmont Thoughts on This Tarp for Dining Fly

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    Brad P
    Spectator

@brawndo

The trading post at base camp sells almost everything and the commissaries sell basics (although the tent pegs they sell are worthless).

Have a great trip. I am sure your Scouts will have a wonderful experience.

You’d think that would remove anxiety, but…  :)

I have a young crew going.  All 14 and 15 year olds.  I’ve told them they need to help each other out more than an experienced crew.  Be ready to jump in to help even if you’re not on the duty roster for that assignment.  The bigger ones need to be ready at every bear bag hanging.  That’s just physics.  Some don’t have the dexterity to operate the Bic lighters.  They understand they might need help lighting the stove.

I think they understand they’ll have a better time if they do this.

And I’m crossing all my fingers, toes and eyes for good weather.  Yeah, I know it’s character building, but nobody enjoys the rain.

And of course, first and foremost, I want to bring everyone home safe and sound.

James A
    Spectator

@nps-hiker

I know this is an old question, but after getting back from Philmont earlier this month, I say just use the Philmont dining flies. They are REALLY waterproof, I can tell you that. If you buy a replacement, you better be sure it is as well. I’m sure you can get something lighter, but no way would I buy something as a replacement unless I was sure I was going to use it after Philmont. You really should limit buying one-time-use items for Philmont. You’ll get by using their equipment just fine.

For any dining fly people bring, just set it up on an as-needed basis. If it’s not going to rain, don’t set it up. And take it down before you go to bed to save time packing up in the morning. I thought ours was useless at first, but it was indispensable 2 or 3 times before the end of our trek.

Bruce Tolley
    BPL Member

@btolley

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

@ Brad P

“Some don’t have the dexterity to operate the Bic lighters.  They understand they might need help lighting the stove.”

Have you checked to confirm that the child safety clip that covers most of the gear has been removed?  The Bic lighters are MUCH easier to use with the clip removed. You just pry on it with a small screw driver with the vector of force downward away from anyone’s eyes and it pops off.

Your Ranger will have your crew working like clockwork.

George
    Spectator

@gs

Is Philmont’s Thunder Ridge shelter/dining fly commercially available?  If it was, I would have expected the Tooth of Time Traders to sell it.  Because they don’t appear to, I’ve assumed it’s not available.  Is that correct?

Viewing 4 posts - 26 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools