Topic

Thoughts on the ZPACKS MultiPack

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion Thoughts on the ZPACKS MultiPack

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Phong D
    BPL Member

@poledancer

Hey Guys.  Especially if your not ehh…associated with ZPACKS…what are your thoughts on the MultiPack?  I have an arc blast and like the idea of wearing it as a chest pack.  Yes, that looks almost as 80’s as a fanny pack…but on long distance hikes it may be the new chic.

Anyway, does that work for you?  I want quick access to food, my compass, maybe my emergency beacon things like that.  I have one belt pouch already.  I like it but its a bit hard to get too…its almost behind me.  Maybe I’m just too fat?  Trying to decide between a second belt pouch or the MultiPack on the chest.

Thanks.

R
    Spectator

@autox

A web search turns up a number of reviews and several BPL threads.

If you’ve never used one, a simple, crude mock up can be informative.  You can get a rough idea what using a chest pack is like by slinging any small bag around the back of your neck while wearing your pack.

I once tried a different type of front pouch and decided I didn’t like having the bulk in front of me.  More sweat, got in the way of my knees when I crouched to touch my shoes, obstructed my view of foot placement on rough terrain.

Bob Shuff
    BPL Member

@slbear

Locale: SoCal

I love the multipack, originally purchased as a lid when I was transitioning from an old Gregory big pack to a ULA Ohm.  I always keep my essentials in it and grab it when leaving my pack somewhere for a quick side trip. It also helps me keep stuff  organized or at least together like an oversized ditty bag.  perfect size for me.

ive never used it as a front pack, but it seems like a good idea if you have a lot of stuff you want to grab while walking. I prefer waist pockets or shoulder pockets for that and often have the multipack in the fron pocket or inside the top part of my pack.

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

I like the multipack too.

But I wish it had a few organizational features:

* outside zip pocket to slip my phone into.
    * inside zip pockets for camera batteries and SD cards.
    * maybe one inside separating divider to keep my camera separate from the rest of the stuff I like to put in there, like a mini tripod, mic, etc., so my camera screen doesn’t get scratched up by the other stuff.

Phong D
    BPL Member

@poledancer

The comment about not seeing your feet is a good point.  I have badly damaged ankles and am cautious about my footing.  I’ll have to think about that one.

Arthur
    BPL Member

@art-r

I bought one a few years back, used it one time.  Too big, blocks my view below me which is upsetting in the desert with snakes. It can contain so much stuff, it is difficult to find anything in it. I would rather have several small waist pockets and a chest strap

R
    Spectator

@autox

Phong, have you considered shoulder strap pockets?

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

I have an Arc blast and it appears there are special connectors on the pack maybe for the multipack to be used as a lid. My boyfriend bought one a long time ago but could not for the life of him figure out how it wear it as a front pack, a fanny pack, a lid or anything really. I think he finally did figure out some weird way to rig it as a fanny pack and used it for a long section of the PCT, but it was really very much jerry-rigged together. Maybe they make them easier to figure out now.

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Phong,

I have an Arc Zip with two belt pouches (left one for snacks and the right one for my camera) and use the shoulder pouch for my cell phone.  Take Rene’s advice and look at the ZPacks Shoulder Pouch.  I don’t know which emergency beacon you have, but it would certainly hold your compass and a few other small items.  I also put my car key in a ziploc in the shoulder pouch so I have easy access to it (it’s also the ziploc that my phone will go into in the event of rain.  The shoulder pouch closes easily, but I’ve found I have to tuck the string back into the pouch or I keep seeing it in my peripheral vision.

And here’s a hint for the belt pouches – Unless it’s raining don’t close them completely.  I keep them mostly open while hiking so I have instant access to my camera or snacks.  Like you I had problems unzipping them without taking off my pack and constantly asking one of my hiking companions to help me was a little embarrassing.  I’ve never had anything fall out while on the trail, but I do check them out of habit each time I put on my pack.

Aaron
    Spectator

@a_a_rontx

I love mine.  I used it on the JMT last year and it was great.  Lightweight and extra organization.

Aaron
    BPL Member

@aaronmcd

I used one as a hip belt pack for a 2 night trip in Yosemite last year. I brought a light weight frameless pack, so I used the z packs for snacks and just some random heavier gear to keep the backpack light. It was ok. My pack was frameless. I think I might prefer just getting a slightly bigger framed pack and keeping everything in there. It was an experiment to see how distributing weight around worked. But it was nice to ditch all the extra gear and use the frameless pack as a summit pack on day 2.

H W
    BPL Member

@olddude

I’ve been using the MultiPack the past 3 years on extended trips in the Rockies. I use to hold my Nikon D750 with a 20mm lens. At first I wired it so it would hang on my chest. Hated it. I couldn’t get it secured enough so it wouldn’t continually bounce on my chest while hiking. So I ended up just putting around my waist on the hip area. Works fine. The whole purpose is to have quick access for photo ops else it would just go in the pack. Also fairly waterproof as I’ve fallen more than once crossing fast moving streams and all was dry inside. I recommend it.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

I use a “Wet Rib” that Dana Designs made to hang just above your belt area and is attached to the lower shoulder strap webbing. I keep map, small protractor compass, headlamp and other “necessaries” in there.

One of these pouches is of heavier cloth and is an actual Dana Wet Rib and another is a clone of light nylon from Seek Outside. But they don’t make them anymore.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

I like the idea of keeping things simple and adding stuff like a multi-pack is exact opposite of that.

zpacks is loaded with accessories today, they figured out that most hikers are like most people, just want to buy all kinds of stuff.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools