Topic

Thoughts on camping

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Paul Wagner
    BPL Member

@balzaccom

Locale: Wine Country
    Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

By far the number one issue with the type of camping described in the article is SANITATION. Always has been and always will be. When people go on their first camping trips (where toilets and running water aren’t readily accessible) they usually come to appreciate how much they’ve taken modern plumbing for granted. And the list of fecal borne diseases is long. Of course a large container of water for frequent hand washing is a must when there’s no facilities around.

The social stigma of camping (not backpacking) varies greatly. For example, Henry Ford and Thomas Edison were frequent car campers and they were mega-rich. On the other hand, gypsies and hobos of past eras were looked down upon, much like the homeless are today. So it depends on the context. And where does RV camping come in? Is it really camping at all?

If I’m going to car camp I like to get totally away from other people in National Forest or BLM areas. I bring my own large water containers and dig a small latrine. What the article mentions about a much higher frequency of unsavory criminal types hanging around designated primitive campsites is true. I could tell you some stories of things I’ve witnessed that almost sound unbelievable.

MJ H
    BPL Member

@mjh

I admit that I pick clothing for hiking partially on not looking like a transient, in addition to weight and functionality. I’m really not ever far enough from civilization to feel comfortable if I wear something like leggings under shorts or a brightly colored hat (excepting blaze orange).

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools