Topic

Thoughts on Cameras

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Off Piste Photography Thoughts on Cameras

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Ryan Tucker
    BPL Member

@beartoothtucker

In recent years I have mostly used a Gopro Hero Session and my iPhone 5. I make short videos of hikes, backpacking and fishing trips really for my own enjoyment.

That being said I do miss the epic landscape shots from atop of mountain or being able to zoom in with relatively decent video footage at a distance. I have considered dropping some coin on a Cannon RX 100 IV which seems to provide high quality shots with the ability to still take relatively great video. Any thoughts on this camera? I have searched it on this site, and read everything but the technical thoughts often are beyond my skill level as an outdoor amateur videographer.

Mark H
    BPL Member

@mhilsee

I thought the RX 100 Iv was Sony,

I upgraded from GoPro and phone to a Canon rx7 mark II and very happy with it, can save a $100 by getting the Canon rx7 which I also had and was as good as the mark II

Mark H
    BPL Member

@mhilsee

Ryan Tucker
    BPL Member

@beartoothtucker

Oops, you are correct.

Just realized I posted this in the wrong forum. Sorry.

Yuri R
    BPL Member

@yazon

I’ve been a long time Sony shooter and Minolta before that. I own RX100 IV and it is an outstanding “almost pocketable” camera. I’ve got plenty to compared to as I’ve been shooting with all sort of cameras – compacts, phone, APS-C, full frame.

Right now I have 3 cameras at my disposal – iPhone 7, RX100 IV and Sony Alpha 7II. Originally i’ve got two Sony’s to see which one would be ideal for me and planned on keeping one, but both are so good, i can’t let go of either. RX100 is capable of delivering stunning images and video, if you use it right in right conditions. In good light it is better than iPhone 7 (obviously) and is as good as full frame A7II with Zeiss glass. However, in low light the quality drops significantly when compared to full frame sensor.

I’ve also tested Sony A6500 with G glass (Sony’s latest APS-C mirroless) and while the camera is great, RX100 is just as good in my opinion or even better in some situation (especially if you don’t use the best quality lens on A6500).

Is RX100 THE Ultimate compact camera? Maybe not, but it is VERY good.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools