Topic

Thorofare July 5-10

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Gerke
    Spectator

@mtnrunner

Locale: Utah

I was planning a trip into the Thorofare area July 5-10.  Never been in there before.  I’m afraid that the Yellowstone might not be fordable. Will be coming down Altantic Creek and using the bridge going over to Bridger Lake.  From there I was going to go North and hit the South Boundary Trail.  I would have to ford the Yellowstone to access the South Boundary Trail. I’m afraid this ford may not be passable due to all the snow we got this year. Was trying to plan a route avoiding most the higher elevations but might have some issues with stream crossings.  The Yellowstone being the main one. Anyone have knowledge of what that ford might be like a week from now? Also had the idea of skirting the west side of the valley from were Atlantic Creek enters up to the South Boundary Trail, looks to be about 5 miles off trail but not sure how much of a bush wack it might be.  This would allow me to avoid fording the Yellowstone.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

I’ve been across that ford in early August of a lower snow year and walked past in late May of a big snow year.  I’d say the chances of getting across on your feet early this July are pretty small.  It’s a broad, gravel bottomed area but I don’t recall any braids and would assume the Yellowstone is darn big right now.  Swift and waist deep or more would be my best guess.

Probably game trails up the west side of the valley.  I’d expect plenty of dead fall and swampy bits but I don’t think it’d be too horrid.  Lots of elk, bison, and bear traffic.

Hiking north out to 9 Mile wouldn’t be a bad alternative if you can swing the car shuttle.  Very scenic stretches along the lake.

Jeff Gerke
    Spectator

@mtnrunner

Locale: Utah

Thanks David.  I talked with a ranger and she confirmed that the Yellowstone is to high to mess with right now.  She also said there is still a bit of snow on my route.  I’m either going to move this trip back 2-3 weeks or go to the Bob.  Looks like the water levels in the Bob might make for some good packrafting if I go up next week.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

Snow levels in the Bob took a major hit with warm weather a months ago; things should be pretty ideal all around right now with both river levels and snow.

Headed out there tomorrow, in fact.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools