Topic

This Small Team of Dispatchers Saves Lives Via Satellite

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire On the Web This Small Team of Dispatchers Saves Lives Via Satellite

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

When you press the SOS button on many satellite devices, including inReach and SPOT, your alert goes to an obscure building in Montgomery, Texas, home of the IERCC.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-11-07/this-small-team-of-dispatchers-is-saving-lives-via-satellite

The Texas team’s network now monitors some 634,000 devices (satellite phones, GPS beacons, activity trackers) used by nature lovers, athletes, and adventurers in places where cell signals can’t reach. Hardware makers such as Garmin, Globalstar, Inmarsat, and Iridium say the IERCC’s expertise and global network of emergency responders are worth a small cut of their monthly satellite network subscription fees, like the 911 fees that wireless carriers charge – about $1 a month per device, on average.

— Rex

Arthur
    BPL Member

@art-r

Rex

Superb, thanks for posting this.  Gives me confidence if I ever have to use this.  Have they ever posted the ratio of real emergencies to “my coffee is cold” emergency calls.  That would be interesting.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools