Topic

This is the biggest shelters news this year, IMO. Ultra TNT in use!

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) This is the biggest shelters news this year, IMO. Ultra TNT in use!

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    YoPrawn
    Spectator

@johan-river

Locale: Cascadia

I saw this posted on Reddit.

Etowah Gear now has tarps made from Ultra TNT, which is the new DCF alternative that is a bit heavier, but much cheaper.

https://www.shop.backpackingadventuregear.com/NEW-Ultra-TNT-Tarps-TNTTarp.htm

.51 DCF 8.5×10 – $322 – 6.4oz

Ultra TNT 8×10 – $220 – 10oz

Silnylon 8×10 – $90 – 14oz

I would honestly be VERY interested in a more -purpose-made shelter from TNT, especially if it was more translucent like they showed in teasers earlier this year from Tarptent, etc. Having a fully see-through UL shelter has been a dream of mine for decades. Imagine how warm it could get on cold sunny days for drying out or melting gear. Portable UL greenhouse!

YoPrawn
    Spectator

@johan-river

Initial review of TNT and the tarp. Looks like this version of TNT is about as see-through as regular DCF? I really hope they still offer the clear see-through TNT in the future.

YouTube video

Mike
    BPL Member

@skinnypete

I watched this a while ago and I dunno. Fabric seems oddly loud like crinkly xpac.

Brad W
    BPL Member

@rocko99

This fabric is not a game changer in any sense. It’s more bulky, heavier, louder, more see through than DCF.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Fabric seems oddly loud like crinkly xpac

It should pair nicely with a Neoair XLite, no?  A symphony in the woods :)

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

It just sounds like less expensive DCF that does not come in the lower fabric weights (i.e., at or below 1 oz/yd).

Philip Tschersich
    BPL Member

@philip-ak

Locale: Kodiak Alaska

This post on Reddit seems like a pretty comprehensive synopsis of TNT.

YoPrawn
    Spectator

@johan-river

From my point of view, it’s not competing for my money against DCF. It’s competing against polycro! :)

I really really want to have the option of see-through shelters in the future. Relaxing in bed on a cold rainy day out in the wilderness is so vastly better when you can see in all directions.

I experimented with polycro shelters, but too fragile for regular use, even though the view is incredible.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Since I wrote that reddit post Challenge has greatly improved the translucent issue with colored mylar, but it still doesn’t seem to make a lot of sense in my opinion. It’s about the same weight as a 20D woven, but more expensive and worse at several things (abrasion, punctures, bulk, noise), and has the unknown risk of delamination over time. It may be stronger but it’s hard to know how such a widely space grid performs in that regard.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

It is interesting to see a tarp material that has fiber running at 0, 90, 45, & -45°.

We have had so much discussion regarding bias stretch here on BPL. I wonder if the drawbacks inherent to TNT might be worth it for some makers or designs where limiting bias stretch is a priority.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

One more thought: I’m guessing abrasion at the UHWPE yarns will be a wear point, just like in X-Pac. Maybe it won’t be an issue with the thicker Mylar?

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

All the photos I have uncovered show the fibers running in 3 axis.  Durston’s Reddit post from 8 months ago contains a link to the picture below.  It there a new 4-axis fabric? Seems like that would be the most stable architecture to resist bias stretch.

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

I think there are a wide variety of ways Challenge could make it (100D or 200D threads, how tight the spacing is, orientations) so perhaps they can do it but I haven’t seen a 4 axis version yet.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Oh. I stand corrected. 0, 45, & -45° seems suboptimal. Hmmm.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

…100D or 200D threads…

Would using heavier threads potentially make a “bumpier” product?  There are thread intersections where threads are stacked 3 high.  Seems like that would lead to more chance of abrasion targeting the bumps created at the threads.

I think DCFs higher density of very fine fibers creating a very smooth fabric is one key to the success it has enjoyed.

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

PERHAPS, if this would help with durability as well as price, DCF tent makers like Tarptent could offer TNT “fabric” as an alternative. I know Tarptent already offers a Silnylon floor option on some of their DCF tents.

Eric Blanche
    BPL Member

@eblanche

Locale: Northeast US

Eric, good question! I suppose that is all up to the brand to determine…

Is this going to be a better floor option puncture/abrasion resistance than a similar weight silnylon/poly? This is cheaper than dcf but more expensive than silpoly/nylon, I assume.

I don’t see why that wouldn’t be possible. I’d wager that Challenge is willing to work with appropriate minimums for this type of cottage industry.

*also, DP just released some new sailcloth material (and maybe other stuff that im not aware of) that sounds like it could translate well with the tent market if it can reach the weights we are looking for…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools