Topic

Thin/Wide frameless packs

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Thin/Wide frameless packs

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I have come to the conclusion that I prefer thinner frameless packs over thicker ones. I suspect this is because thin packs place the center of mass is closer to my back. I’m convinced that a 4.5-5.5” thick pack works better for me than a 7-8” thick pack.

I’ve also come to the conclusion that a slightly wider pack works better for me than a tall one. It’s easier for me to grab a water bottle from a 12” wide pack rather than a 10” wide pack.

I am wondering if anyone can suggest any packs that fit my criteria of <5.5” thick and ~12” wide. The packs I’m aware of that fit these criteria are the GG Kumo and the ZPacks Nero. Are there any other options out there I’m not thinking of that meet these specs?

James Marco
    BPL Member

@jamesdmarco

Locale: Finger Lakes

I understand your concerns. I agree in many ways. I have an older Osprey Atmos that is difficult to wear a hat with. Very annoying, and, probably the biggest reason I rarely use it.

There is still the matter of packing style. I prefer a StS small eVent compression bag for my down and sleeping gear.  It is very close to 7″ and doesn’t really like a 4.5″ to 5″ pack thickness. It puts a lot of stress on the pack seams.  However, it fits nicely in a 5.5″ to 6″ pack. Just stuffing “dry” gear works well with a plastic liner, though. Food bags are about the same. You need an small 7L or 8L bag or two for a week out. These are around 6-7″.  Anyway, this approaches the limit of most 30-36L packs.

GG is now making the Murmur with a 6″ thickness, but it lacks the 12″ width you wanted. Sorry, I can’t really help with a manufacturer. 5″x12″ packs are really rare.

Barry Cuthbert
    BPL Member

@nzbazza

Locale: New Zealand

See if you can find a second hand Gossamer Gear Rukus to try. My Rukus measures when stuffed full 20″ high x 13″ wide x 6″ deep. GG unfortunately have stopped making this pack and replaced it with the smaller Minimalist.

Nick B
    BPL Member

@bur

Locale: Kalifornia

The Liteaf Curve 35l is pretty close at 12x6x34. Pricey, though…

Graham F
    BPL Member

@02174424

Locale: Victoria-Southeast Australia

I had the maker of this below

https://wildernessthreadworks.com/sonder-36l/

add width to both front and back panels. I can carry a Duplex sitting horizontally on the top. Not sure if he still does custom work.

Alex Fedorov
    Spectator

@afedorov

I would suggest to look at the climbing specific packs – it sounds like you really like the fit that those packs are meant for… granted you usually give up side pockets with those… Cilogear, cold cold world etc ,,,

Dale Wambaugh
    BPL Member

@dwambaugh

Locale: Pacific Northwest

What volume and weight are you wishing for? Load bearing hip belt?

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

It’s hard to know exactly what volume I want because everyone measured their pack volume differently. What I do know is my experiences with pack width and depth.

My Zimmerbuilt Pika is nearly a perfect size, just a little too small at 5.5” x 10”. I suspect a custom 5.5” x 12-13” would be amazing. I’d probably order that with padded wings of a MLD Prophet, which fit me well and seem like a nice bridge between a simple 1” belt and a full hipbelt.

That said, I have a trip on a couple weeks and I’m planning on borrowing a ULA Ohm 2.0… Maybe I’d be happier with a minimally framed pack. I haven’t tried a frame in a couple years.

I’m going to hold off on a decision until I give the Ohm a solid try.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

It’s hard to know exactly what volume I want because everyone measured their pack volume differently.
    There is actually an American Standard for pack volume. Not all American mfrs use the Standard: some of them cheat outrageously. Rather unethical. See
    https://backpackinglight.com/lw_internal_frame_packs_part_1a/
    https://backpackinglight.com/lw_internal_frame_packs_part_1b/
    https://backpackinglight.com/lw_internal_frame_packs_part_1c/
    https://backpackinglight.com/lw_internal_frame_packs_part_2/

Cheers

Max O
    BPL Member

@tree-access-2

Does somebody know of a manufacturer that offers a pack like the KS from KS-Ultralight but wider? I really love this bag but unfortunately I cant get KS to make broader one for me (which I totally understand, hie customizin offers are really outdatnding anyway!)…

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Responding to my own thread here but the Zerk fits my criteria at 11.75″ x 5.75″.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools