Topic

New Thermarest NeoAir X-Lite and X-Therm NXT’s now available

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) New Thermarest NeoAir X-Lite and X-Therm NXT’s now available

Viewing 20 posts - 26 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Breau
    BPL Member

@breau

Has anyone published reviews of the new pads?

I found a few quick overviews, that mostly talk about noise, on Youtube, but no comprehensive reviews.
    Trail Magazine
    Justin Outdoors

These two videos from Ampro Sales Youtube channel look like they’ve been made by Thermarest: Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XLite NXT overview and Therm-a-Rest NeoAir XTherm NXT overview.

Art Rhizhiy Hiker
    BPL Member

@verysimple

Trail UK magazine reviewed in full – better in every way, warmer, less noisier (xlite), lighter (xtherm).

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Thanks for the link, Monte. Good looking out!

Larry, thanks for the encouragement and photos.

M B
    BPL Member

@livingontheroad

I’ve got an x light that needs to be warranted for delam so I’ve been waiting for them to run out of the stock of the old one

Dan Quixote
    BPL Member

@dan_quixote

Locale: below the mountains (AK)

Paul

Sure did! The Xlite womens is really close in R-value to my 2013 Xtherm in 66in, and the same size which has been perfect for my 5’4″ self! My Xtherm is a bit long in the tooth, so it’ll be nice to have this new Xlite. Or a spare! And I saw the lowest price so far on amazon. Got it for $120, though it looks like the price jumped back up already. That was the best I could find this weekend though.

Mike
    BPL Member

@skinnypete

I think with the popularity of the wide versions not being in stock, it’s time for a complete overhaul in pad width, and tent width in the industry.

baja bob
    BPL Member

@bajabob

Locale: West

Justin Outdoors posted on the Ultralight subreddit (before his video I believe) stating that the pads were not all that different, with the exception of the Xlite being a lot less noisy. My interpretation from his post is that the pads were an improvement, but not significantly warmer or more comfortable. Others may have a different take.

Mike
    BPL Member

@skinnypete

As horrible as I think the Xlite is, I’m willing to give the extra thickness a shot.

Monte Masterson
    BPL Member

@septimius

Locale: Southern Indiana

Moosejaw is the first major gear site (other than Thermarest) where I’ve seen the new NXT’s available. Mummy X-lites not shown, but X-Lite NXT Max and both Mummy and Max X-Therms in both sizes are listed. Looks to be a week before they can ship them out however. Of course moosejaw has recurring 20% off of full price items and Thermarest has always been applicable, so best to wait and save. Right now MJ will provide 15% off if you sign up for e-mails.

As far as the last generation X-Lites, I’m now seeing the lowest prices on backcountry.com. Regular X-Lite $129, Women’s $130 and Large $149 (35% off all 3)

Mike
    BPL Member

@skinnypete

Regular wide is available on Thermarest.com. You can get 10 percent off if you sign up for their email.

Devin Z
    BPL Member

@drz_pnw

Sadly the 20% code at Moosejaw doesn’t work for these- but you can still get the 15% with signing up for the newsletter.

I’ve got a regular X-Therm ordered, I’ll report back once I get it (and then hopefully get it into the snow!)

Something intriguing in their introductory video was claiming that because the pad is so much warmer you can get away with a lighter weight bag- could the 3oz weight gain going from the x-lite to the x-therm let me get away with using my Cumulus Magic 125 instead of the EE Enigma for a total weight LOSS of 8oz? Time for some backyard camping to find out!

Stephen Seeber
    BPL Member

@crashedagain

Received the Xtherm I ordered directly from Thermarest.  I already own the older model Xtherm.  I started some testing to compare the performance of the NXT with the prior model.  After a few hours of running R-value tests, I found the mattress had leaked air and lost some of its loft.  After 24 hours of sitting on the floor, it lost .56″.   This loss was not due to any change in temperature, and it was inflated with room-temperature air.  It is leaking!  I submitted a warranty claim on-line.  I received a reply that it might take 12 weeks before I get a response.  I then initiated a return for a refund.  There is no one to talk to about any of this.  If  someone wants to purchase one of their products, I recommend using a  reseller, such as REI or Backcountry, so you have recourse in the event something is wrong with the product.

bradmacmt
    BPL Member

@bradmacmt

Locale: montana

If someone wants to purchase one of their products, I recommend using a reseller, such as REI or Backcountry, so you have recourse in the event something is wrong with the product.

MSR’s customer service / repair center is abysmal.

Jeff McWilliams
    BPL Member

@jjmcwill

Locale: Midwest

Unfortunate to hear about the leak.  Hopefully you got unlucky and it’s not going to be a trend.  My older NeoAir XLite has been leak free, but I’ve mostly stopped using it in favor of a Nemo Tensor in recent years.

Devin Z
    BPL Member

@drz_pnw

Ha- just got the message from Moosejaw that they didn’t actually have the x-therm NXT in stock and are ordering it from thermarest. We’ll see when this thing shows up.

Sorry to hear about the leak Stephen, hopefully not a harbinger….

Mike
    BPL Member

@skinnypete

Got mine yesterday. Still incredibly doubtful that I’ll sleep near as good as my Etherlite XT, but it’s a million times better than the previous model.

Steve Collins
    BPL Member

@chicagomoose

Locale: North Carolina

My NXT MAX arrived two days ago.  Thinking of replacing my Xped for winter trips.  Blew it up two days ago and it does not look like it lost any loft.  Definitely seems a lot quieter but I have tended to be an Xped or BA pad user so only have experiance listening o friends roll around in their tent 20 yards away!

Will have it out below 0F in a couple weeks and will see how it performs – first negative is that the Thermarest inflation sack sucks compared to some others I have used when comparing size and weight.

Paul S
    BPL Member

@pula58

Devin Z:

The x-lite used to have an r-value of 4.2. The new X-lite’s are R=4.5.

The R-value of the new pads is only marginally higher. I don’t think the slightly higher r-value will make a noticeable difference in terms of trying to use a lighter (less warm) sleeping bag.

Mustard Tiger
    BPL Member

@sbpark

Locale: West Coast

Seems like people are always gong to complain about something. As someone who is 6’2 and 200-205lbs, I just picked up an Elite NXT in the long and am very pleased with it and appreciate the 25″ width.

Art Rhizhiy Hiker
    BPL Member

@verysimple

I am much smaller and i totally appreciate 25″ width pad. Will never go back to 20″.

Viewing 20 posts - 26 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools