Topic

The Wildlands Traverse – by Foot and Packraft

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Member Trip Reports The Wildlands Traverse – by Foot and Packraft

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Locale: Canada

I planned this route for the early spring, and had a vision of hiking across the Queen Elizabeth II Wildlands Park from Devils Lake to Victoria Bridge and then packrafting out the Black River to Chisolm Trail Road, while the water was high. Unfortunately timing didn’t work out as well as I had thought, but hammered it out a bit later in the year when water was lower. It was tough to get info out there to put this trip together and the Black River was somehow very limited on info. Hopefully someone will enjoy, and find the video helpful. I’ve covered the route, gear, logistics, and the trip itself. Its an epic 3 day trip that covers 46km of hiking, packrafting…I had some torrential rain, insane bugs, bushwhacking, ticks, and the worst toe injury I have ever had while in the backcountry. Bit of type 2 fun…enjoy!

https://youtu.be/dQfKy5L6RWU

John S.
    BPL Member

@jshann

Thanks for sharing, Steven.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Always fun stuff Steven! Thanks for sharing.

AK Granola
    BPL Member

@granolagirlak

I tried twice watching your video, but tbh, ticks, rain, mosquitoes… it’s more honest, but I need fantasy camping to watch right now! You know, the endless blue sky, perfect conditions, and great food. I admire your pluck!

Kevin Babione
    BPL Member

@kbabione

Locale: Pennsylvania

Thanks for posting another video – Although I cringed more on this video than any other I can recall watching in recent memory.  Ticks, rain, bugs, lousy trail maintenance…any one of them is enough to make an experience miserable, and you had them all for almost the entire trip!  Your “Threshold” is much higher than mine.  I’m only able to make time to go out a couple times a year and I try to go in the spring or fall when the bugs are less of a threat to at least minimize one of those factors.

I am curious about your toe – can you give us an update on how it healed, if you lost your toenail, and what a doctor (if you went) said about it?  Spoiler Alert:  When I saw the blister in the video I immediately recommended to you that you drain it to relieve the pressure.  My mental telepathy must have worked because that’s what you did.  That was indeed really ugly.

Thanks again – I hope your next trip fulfills Karen’s requirements above…

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

Hope you enjoyed it!

Steven Evans
    BPL Member

@steve_evans

@Karen
    I can understand the need for ideal weather and trips, some of mine are…this one in particular was a bit of a slog…a bit out of my control :)

@Kevin
    Babione
    I didn’t end up going to the doctor for the toe. A nurse friend told me to soak it several times a day in a salt bath, and monitor for infection. It healed up pretty good in about 2 weeks, but then just recently the toe detached for most of it’s length and is sort of like the hood of a car. Connected by a bit of tissue at the cuticle, and can flap open and closed. I now wear a small silicone sleeve over it in hopes it will hold on until it grows in. No pain, just kinda gross :)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools