Topic

The Ptarmigan-to-Belly River Traverse: Packrafting in Glacier National Park

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable The Ptarmigan-to-Belly River Traverse: Packrafting in Glacier National Park

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Locale: Alaska

Companion forum thread to: The Ptarmigan-to-Belly River Traverse: Packrafting in Glacier National Park

Luke Schmidt tests his wilderness skills with a Glacier National Park packrafting trip over Ptarmigan Pass and down the Belly River. He shares photos from the trip and the gear he used.

Richard Nisley
    BPL Member

@richard295

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

If you size your packrafting windshirt, with hood, to fit over your PFD, you can achieve substantial wet-proof insulation for a negligible weight increase.  This works for both active and static situations.

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

Interesting idea Richard, my raincoat would probably fit over my new PFD so maybe I’ll try it. Since then I’ve used my drysuit on pretty much all my trips. I was tempted to try a Alpacka suit this year but in the end I put my new gear money into lighter hiking gear and kept my bomber drysuit.

Justin Baker
    BPL Member

@justin_baker

Locale: Santa Rosa, CA

Is this the trip where you guys ran into Stu?

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

yes it was. We met under the trees in the hailstorm and hiked out together.

Tjaard Breeuwer
    BPL Member

@tjaard

Locale: Minnesota, USA

I would strongly suggest not putting rubber bands around the wrists of a rain jacket for paddling splashing water.

Back before I had a drytop I kayaked in a top with neoprene wrist cuffs. In waves water the end result was always sleeves full of water(sloshing around). Anything short of a full on latex gasket lets water in, and then having the cuffs tight up around your wrist leads to water sagging the sleeve down, preventing it from draining back out again easily.

Brad Branan
    Spectator

@bbranan1

Locale: Northern California

Morgan Rucks: The New Face of Packrafting. http://www.sacbee.com/entertainment/living/travel/article99307092.html

Luke Schmidt
    BPL Member

@cameron

I forgot to include this in the article, we made a video of our trip.

YouTube video

Danny Milks
    BPL Member

@dannymilks

Locale: SF Bay Area

Great article, thanks Luke! And I enjoyed the video you posted.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools