Topic

The Peace of Wild Things

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire On the Web The Peace of Wild Things

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

I’m a big Wendell Berry fan. This is a 1-minute poem, written and read by Berry, about the “sublime peace of escaping into wilderness“.

Kattt
    BPL Member

@kattt

I had never heard of him but the simplicity of the poem  calls to me. Thanks for  sharing it!

Steven Paris
    BPL Member

@saparisor

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Hi Doug & Kat! I’ve always liked this excerpt from Wallace Stegner’s “Wilderness Letter:”

Something will have gone out of us as a people if we ever let the remaining wilderness be destroyed; if we permit the last virgin forests to be turned into comic books and plastic cigarette cases; if we drive the few remaining members of the wild species into zoos or to extinction; if we pollute the last clear air and dirty the last clean streams and push our paved roads through the last of the silence, so that never again will Americans be free in their own country from the noise, the exhausts, the stinks of human and automotive waste. And so that never again can we have the chance to see ourselves single, separate, vertical and individual in the world, part of the environment of trees and rocks and soil, brother to the other animals, part of the natural world and competent to belong in it. Without any remaining wilderness we are committed wholly, without chance for even momentary reflection and rest, to a headlong drive into our technological termite-life, the Brave New World of a completely man-controlled environment. We need wilderness preserved–as much of it as is still left, and as many kinds–because it was the challenge against which our character as a people was formed. The reminder and the reassurance that it is still there is good for our spiritual health even if we never once in ten years set foot in it. It is good for us when we are young, because of the incomparable sanity it can bring briefly, as vacation and rest, into our insane lives. It is important to us when we are old simply because it is there–important, that is, simply as an idea.

BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

That’s a wonderful passage Steve! Thanks for sharing it!

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

+1

Tom K
    BPL Member

@tom-kirchneraol-com-2

+1 again.  A haunting plea to change our ways while there is still time.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

both good, thanks

that explains some why I like to go out into the wilderness

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools