Topic

"The One" returns

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) "The One" returns

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Edward Jursek
    BPL Member

@nedjursekgmail-com

Locale: Pacific Northwest

Gossamer Gear has the “The One” back in their line-up again. Looks like it weights just over 20oz with lines and stuff sack. The $450 price tag is bracing, but compares well to the Six Moons Design Skyscape X and the Zpacks Solplex in the solo, fully enclosed category. A bit heavier, but about $100 less.

Andy Berner
    BPL Member

@berner9

Locale: Michigan

The One was my first lightweight tent and loved it!   Glad to see they brought it back

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

7d fly with a 1200mm HH doesn’t sound that great to me, particularly when it’s almost as expensive as a cuben option from ZPacks.

Kenneth Jacobs
    BPL Member

@f8less

Locale: Midwest -or- Rockies

Well, that design is a fail…

The backside is a huge wind catch.  Unless you’d have the vestibule side into the wind and closed…I see a lot of issues in windy situations.  …and then in that situation, the front is screened and the backside of the internal is a wall of material…again proving to be a wind catch…with the only air escape being a downward sloping shelter wall.  *shakes head*

…and the colors…really?!  …the green in fine…but yellow?!?!  Looks like a tractor tent.

Theo Diekmann
    BPL Member

@theo321

I’m really skeptical of the new silnylon, too. Especially at this price point. I’m really glad I got my C-Twinn for a moderate $150 back then!

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

Really highlights how much progress has been made in UL shelter design and materials since it’s introduction.

Jonathon Self
    BPL Member

@neist

Locale: Oklahoma

To be honest, I’m a little more interested in the tarp made out of the new 7D stuff. I don’t know if I could live with a 7D shelter, but I could definitely live with a tarp.

Hm.. 9.5oz before stakes, but you need a lot of them if it’s windy to help reduce the stress on the fabric. Kind of expensive, but I generally prefer sil over Dyneema.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

So far I haven’t had any ultralight tent fair well in wind. My old One that I bought in 2008 blew down in the wind. My boyfriend and I have a 2-person 6 Moons tent that has blown down in wind. Our tarp blew down in the wind. I had a little 1-person 6 Moons cuben fiber tent that I really love so much blow down in the wind. I don’t know that I have ever spent a night in a windy rainstorm without having to go out in the weather and put my shelter back up.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Piper,

By “blow down” do you mean a structural failure, a rip or that your stakes pulled out? If the latter what kind of stakes do you use?

I’ve not had a tent/tarp blow down in the last two years including some very intense storms in the Sierra. I seek protected areas and use MSR Groundhog stakes and/or rocks as anchors. In that time period I’ve been using Duplex, Notch and Deschutes shelters with no failures. Maybe I’m just lucky or you are in a different environment than me.

Jeffs Eleven
    BPL Member

@woodenwizard

Locale: NePo

I’ll buy your broken SixMoons tents off of you.  Surely they will be cheap since they are broken/ poor design.  $100 each?

Eric Blumensaadt
    BPL Member

@danepacker

Locale: Mojave Desert

Still the Tarptent fanboy I’d take the Notch over The One.

Diane “Piper” Soini
    BPL Member

@sbhikes

Locale: Santa Barbara

By blow down I mean in the wind the tent stakes came out and the tent fell down. I usually put very large rocks on top and still sometimes the wind is so strong they come out. Once the rocks actually sawed through the lines and broke the lines because they were sharp. If there’s going to be any heavy duty wind, I look for rocks that weigh about 45lbs and are smooth. That seems to work.

Brad Rogers
    BPL Member

@mocs123

Locale: Southeast Tennessee

Those sound like stake failures not really shelter failures.  I did read of an individual in England that had the cuban on his Duplex rip in 60mph winds (not many UL shelters-or shelters period can handle that kind of wind)

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

Looks like a nice update on the One design. For someone wanting a really light shelter, full protection and only rarely camping in harsh spots this looks like a nice option. That green is nice.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools