Topic

The Military Origins of Layering

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire On the Web The Military Origins of Layering

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Layering has either been around a long time – or (re)-(re)-invented recently.

For the M-43 layering system to work, soldiers had to know how to use it. So military experts developed a layering-education curriculum, which shows how the M-43 became both a popular style and a model for dressing according to scientific principles. During one 90-minute indoctrination class, soldiers listened to a lecture on how to stay alive in the cold and watched a demonstration of how to wear and adjust each item in the M-43 uniform assembly.

Interesting story.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2019/09/how-military-science-popularized-layered-clothing/597577/

— Rex

PaulW
    BPL Member

@peweg8

Locale: Western Colorado

An interesting read. Thanks for the link.

Dave Heiss
    BPL Member

@daveheiss

Locale: Pacific Northwest

The military lab that conducted these early clothing tests is now known as USARIEM (US Army Research Institute of Environmental Medicine). About 15 years ago my company updated that old copper manikin of theirs (built by GE in 1962 if I remember correctly), but it was finally retired about 3 years ago. Here are two photos I was given that shows Copper Man in his heyday, along with a group photo of their thermal manikins and research team. The pioneering work these researchers did is still immensely valuable today, and it’s the foundation for many of the standards and test methodologies in use now for the thermal evaluation of garments and clothing ensembles.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools