Topic

The man who went on a hike – and never stopped walking

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire On the Web The man who went on a hike – and never stopped walking

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    BlackHatGuy
    Spectator

@sleeping

Locale: The Cascades

Interesting read.

From the article: “The next night, we slept in a copse of gnarled oaks beside a graveyard, a shady grove carpeted with slender, rippling leaves. It was strangely lovely. Eberhart found them everywhere, these forgotten little shards of wilderness. The problem, he said, was that hikers tended to divide their lives into compartments: wilderness over here, civilization over there. “The walls that exist between each of these compartments are not there naturally,” he said. “We create them. The guy that has to stand there and look at Mount Olympus to find peace and quiet and solitude and meaning – life has escaped him totally!”’”

Gerry B.
    BPL Member

@taedawood

Locale: Louisiana, USA

Doug,  Thank you for sharing this wonderful article with us.  I have corresponded with Eb a handful of times over the years and had the privilege of spending a fair amount of time with him on a weekend Backpacking Arkansas Gathering last October.  As the article indicated, he is a deeply spiritual man and the most at peace person I have ever met.  But he is not a hermit.  On the contrary, he loves to visit with people, tell stories and recite poetry.  He is a very kind man and when you visit with him, you have his full attention and you feel like you are the most important person in his world.  He is a very special, unique person on this planet and I cherish my experience with him.

Anonymous
    Inactive

“The guy that has to stand there and look at Mount Olympus to find peace and quiet and solitude and meaning – life has escaped him totally!”’”

Some folks just see things a little more clearly than most.  A beautiful read.  Thank you.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools