Topic

The LAST BT-2s. Ever.

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Commerce Gear Deals The LAST BT-2s. Ever.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Locale: Queen City, MT

We’re got exactly three of the strongest little mids ever made left, and we won’t be making any more.  All three are green, and have screen doors.  The successor to the BT2, the Silvertip, is longer and shorter (read, better for >6 footers and pitches with one 145cm trekking pole), but I still like the geometry and steeper walls of the BT-2.

We’re selling them for $179 US.  They’re not on the website, so you must call (907 208 8108) and ask.

Happy winter.

Edward Barton
    BPL Member

@porosantihodos

Locale: Boston

Congrats on the new job at SO! Excited to see your contributions to the line.

This seems as good a place as any to lobby for some more UL gear from SO.

Some things that come to mind are a return of the Big Sibling stove, or some other UL version of a hot tent stove; a UL silpoly option for their smaller shelters, and a UL packbag and frame for the divide to compete with other ~1.5-2lb haulers out there.

What do you think, is anything like this in the pipeline?

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Our area code here in Western CO is 970, not 907.  Oops.

The return of the Big Sibling is possible, though maybe not probable.  They did not sell well when first introduced, interest only really spiked a few times in the last year when I posted about using mine.  We might look at something like a one-time run, with pre-payment.  I’ll have some folks talk to our stove maker about how likely that is, and how much lead time it would involve.

Silpoly is also a possibility.  We’re almost wrapping up a UV resistance test on various fabrics, and as far as tent stuff nothing looks like it’s going to come close to our current sil.  I know the non-stretch and lighter weight of other options is attractive, but the dependable HHead and high tear strength of our current stuff makes it difficult to look elsewhere.

A 40-45 liter, ~24 ounce pack is in the works longer term, but it will be a different platform than the Divide.  Long story short, the dimensions of the current frame makes a smaller pack not especially practical.  The Divide is 6″ deep at the base, and any less gets tough to pack, won’t hold bear cans at all, etc.  We’re currently well into prototyping a 35 liter, all purpose pack whose frame is the first test of what we hope to use for several other packs down the road.  If that pack works out as I expect it to, we’ll have the basis for a sub 2 pounder that will carry up to 40 pounds as well as anything we make currently.

Edward Barton
    BPL Member

@porosantihodos

Locale: Boston

Sounds great, Dave! Looking forward to seeing the pack project, and I’d be interested in a big sibling preorder, if you go that route.

Eric B
    BPL Member

@eb

907 is Alaska – wishful thinking on your part?  :-)

Dan @ Durston Gear
    BPL Member

@dandydan

Locale: Canadian Rockies

We’re currently well into prototyping a 35 liter, all purpose pack whose frame is the first test of what we hope to use for several other packs down the road.  If that pack works out as I expect it to, we’ll have the basis for a sub 2 pounder that will carry up to 40 pounds as well as anything we make currently.

Very exciting to hear. I suppose I shouldn’t expect anything for the 2017 season, but hopefully you can get the 2 lbs pack out soon.

David Chenault
    BPL Member

@davec

Timeline will mostly depend on how the stay prototyping for the 35er works out.  If the next generation (due in a few weeks) works out a summer release of the SUL-specific pack wouldn’t be out of the question.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools