Topic

The John Muir Trail (According To Chris) Movie Trailer 2

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums General Forums General Lightweight Backpacking Discussion The John Muir Trail (According To Chris) Movie Trailer 2

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Locale: San Jose, CA

Heya, I made a second trailer for my JMT movie.  (see below)  I expect to have it done in a week.   I’ll post here once complete.

https://youtu.be/YvRLS0-gNP8

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Oh, and I forgot to mention it will be free :)

Rob P
    BPL Member

@rpjr

Looking forward to it!

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Ok here’s the full length movie:  https://youtu.be/Masta9yxAUE

Merry Christmas!

Jonathon Self
    BPL Member

@neist

Locale: Oklahoma

Thanks for sharing. Enjoyed the video. :)

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

Excellent video! I’ve enjoyed the creative license you’ve taken with lots of different treatments. I often limit myself, trying to everything very consistent but your video gains interest from different things you’ve done with your raw footage. Very enjoyable!

David Noll
    BPL Member

@dpnoll

Locale: Maroon Bells

Thanks Chris. I think that is the best video report on the JMT I have seen.

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Thanks guys!  Hope you had a Merry Christmas.

I learned a ton of lessons through this experience.  I’ll probably do another one soonish.  I’m thinking a short Yosemite winter trip video.  Then next summer I’ll do a longer one documenting something more offtrail and adventurous in Seki.

Gunnar H
    BPL Member

@qy

Liked that one!

Dena Kelley
    BPL Member

@eagleriverdee

Locale: Eagle River, Alaska

That was outstanding. Thank you for sharing your trip with us.

windsor ak
    BPL Member

@windsor

Locale: MN

Great film, thanks for sharing.

Tony Wong
    BPL Member

@valshar

Locale: San Francisco Bay Area

Chris,

Just watched your movie tonight.

Thank you for sharing your journey that is uniquely you.

I appreciate the honesty of your story and how you show yourself as you are…warts and all.

Really refreshing to see something real and very personal.

When I did the JMT in 2011, the last three days I was getting a little sick of the stench that was myself and I was missing my family too.

So could relate to your experiences…thanks for sharing and reminding me of my own JMT trip.

Really makes me want to do it all over again.

Tony

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Thanks!   Honesty was something I was going for.  I wanted my kids to see the reality and set expectations accordingly.  It’s smelly, dirty, and completely amazing and worth it.  :)  I think many here on BPL would concur.

Funny story:  In an attempt to make the film honest to my experience, I spent dozens of hours color grading the footage to match my memory of each view.   The problem was that I had polarized sunglasses on most of the time while hiking.  So I matched the film colors accordingly.  I reduced midtones, increased contrast, and darkened the outer edges to simulate the feel of the sunglass frames.  The scenes where I’m not wearing sunglasses are much more color accurate.

A real film professional would have used objective tools like vector scopes and stuff to color correct.  But I’m no professional.  ;)

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Btw thank you all for being so forgiving of the vertigo inducing footage.  I learned a lot from this, including the importance of a slow steady hand while filming.  :)

Larry De La Briandais
    BPL Member

@hitech

Locale: SF Bay Area

“I often limit myself, trying to everything very consistent..”

Yup, that a big problem of mine too.

I just found this, and only watched a few minutes so far, but I can comment that the cinematography is outstanding.  I think the grading is great so far.  :)

chris smead
    BPL Member

@hamsterfish

Thanks Larry!  The truth is that I was learning during the editing process.  So everytime I learned something fun, I incorporated it into the film.  :)

To retain focus, I tried to use reoccurring elements like the map sequences, clouds, fonts, voiceovers, etc to retain an overall theme.

My next project will have lots of new elements, but hopefully retain focus as well.  I’m working on it now.  Wish me luck!

Viewing 16 posts - 1 through 16 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools