Topic

The Backpacker’s Journey

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Editor’s Roundtable The Backpacker’s Journey

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Rex Sanders
    BPL Member

@rex

Companion forum thread to: The Backpacker’s Journey

Rex Sanders examines the arcs and stages that backpackers take as years and mileage start to add up.

dirtbag
    BPL Member

@dirtbaghiker

This was great!! I enjoyed reading this Rex! And seeing picture of you back in the day!!

Alex H
    BPL Member

@abhitt

Locale: southern appalachians or desert SW

Rex you made me laugh at this one!  My first thought was you have been spending too much time thinking about this but yet it is pretty accurate.  My only variance would be that while many folks do increase their mileage as their packs get lighter it only goes so far and then they plateau, never going to high mileage days (20+).  I have been backpacking for over 50 years, have gone through all your stages, hover near an ultralight baseweight but yet have only done a few 20 miles days and as I get older have a sweet spot of around 15-17.

Great thoughts though!

Stephen Seeber
    BPL Member

@crashedagain

Hi Rex:

Enjoyed reading this.  You would think that today, with all the resources on line (such as BPL), the process could be accelerated.  Maybe seeking such resources is part of the journey that must be learned and acted upon under duress.

Bruce Johnson
    BPL Member

@bcjohnson

Thank you, Rex. We are of a similar vintage, and have taken different routes to end up in similar places. It is good to get positive feedback from your article. Competitive backpacking seems like a contradiction in terms, but I see it regularly. Less, more, further, faster all miss the central point for me, but to each their own. I’ll see you out there.
    Bruce Johnson

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools