Topic

Text editor for postings only shows 3-4 lines

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Administration & Support Website Bug Reports Text editor for postings only shows 3-4 lines

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Geoff Caplan
    BPL Member

@geoffcaplan

Locale: Lake District, Cumbria

When used on a large screen (laptop/desktop) I’m only seeing 3-4 lines in the text editor used for forum postings.

This makes it unreasonably difficult to compose and edit posts – especially when you’re using images.

I can’t see any upside to this setting, while the downside is quite severe.

Please make the editor window larger.

JCH
    BPL Member

@pastyj-2-2

In the lower right-hand corner of the text input there is a small triangular icon (circled in attached screen shot).  If you click and drag this you can resize the input box.

This works for both Firefox and Safari in Mac OS.  I have not tested in other OSs/browsers.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

You can resize by dragging the lower right corner of the text input box on Safari/Chrome in iOS too.

Geoff Caplan
    BPL Member

@geoffcaplan

Locale: Lake District, Cumbria

Thanks for pointing that out.

But it’s an unusual and well-hidden feature that the great majority of users will miss – including me, and I’m a web developer that has often implemented online editors.

I can’t see any downside to setting the default size larger. The only thing that’s below it is the footer, and everyone knows where to look for that, so it’s not as if a larger editor would be hiding important content.

David Gardner
    BPL Member

@gearmaker

Locale: Northern California

+1 on making the default size larger. I’m curious if there is a particular rationale for making/keeping it smaller?

Ryan Jordan
    Admin

@ryan

Locale: Central Rockies

This is an easy fix. Once we finish the more critical issues, we’ll try to implement this next week!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools