Topic

Teton Crest Trail Alternates – June 23rd Start date

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Campfire Trip Planning Teton Crest Trail Alternates – June 23rd Start date

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Paul Koenig
    BPL Member

@adidasno21

Locale: Midwest

Hello Friends of BPL!  We are headed out on a big family vacation driving from Cleveland, spending time in the Rapid City Area, Yellowstone and Grand Teton National Parks. We also secured permits for the Teton Crest Trail back when the permit reservation window opened this past winter.  This all will culminate in a family wedding in Jackson Hole WY.

I’m hoping you can help with some alternates to the Teton Crest Trail.  We are due to shove off on June 23rd, and here was the “paper” itinerary we planned.  As you know, snow ruled this winter, and I’d like to be prepared on the likely chance that the rangers at Jenny Lake suggest our hiking trip will be mostly a ski tour. 😊

Day 1: Ascend Tram, Camp at Marion Lake:  6.23 mi  -2577, +1376

Day 2: Fox Creek Pass camp in Alaska Basin:  6.7 mi -820, +1248 (Mt. Meek Pass)

Day 3: Ascend Hurricane Pass, Camp in South Fork Cascade:  6.0 mi  -2169, +1788

Day 4: Descend to Jenny Lake Boat Dock:   7.5 mi  -2761  +271

So lay out your suggestions. We have family in the area, so transport to and fro trailheads should be easy. I’m up for the Winds as well, but I wonder if they will be covered in snow too.  We are 2 adults, and 2 kids (8 and 10).  All experienced in backpacking and skiing … but not ice climbing.  We all have microspikes, and a my wife and I have ice axes ….  Crossing snow is inevitable this year, so I don’t need to avoid it at all costs … but what I really don’t want is a 30 mile march on snow.

Thanks for you input, and happy hiking to all of you as this season gets underway!

-Paul

obx hiker
    BPL Member

@obxer

Try this site USA Snow Depth   or this one USA Snotel sites 

I guess Id try calling outdoor gear shops and maybe stuff like the Grand Targhee ski resort over on the west side and ask what the snow level elevation is. The Great outdoor shop in Pinedale is great for the Winds. The Teton Crest got massive snow from all reports. You need to be really flexible and open to all sorts of possible plans. The ski resorts might be good at helping nail down the current snow line. Or hey maybe make some lemonaid. If the west side valleys are all full of snow but relatively flat get some cross country skis or snowshoes and do a trip in the snow. It won’t be that cold, just snowy. Could be a really neat experience. In the Winds by the 23rd the west side lower trails like the highline from @ Scab Creek to Big Sandy might be open. When you check on a site on that linked snotel map like Sandy opening or Pocket creek look in the frame at the lower left for the current 7 day hourly report. Shows the current hourly snow depth and hourly temps. Seems to be melting fast below 10,000. Good luck you’ve got a tough problem but could end up making it into a great adventure! The local USFS offices like the one in Pinedale will probably also have good solid info. edited to add: I checked the snotel sites at Elkhart, Pocket Creek and Big Sandy Opening; the current 7 day hourly reports and they’re all melted out. In another 10 days you might very well make it from around Scab Creek to big sandy since there’s no big elevations and a lot of it is open to the sky like the great sheep desert  You could follow Scab Creek Trail out to Dream Lake or Raid Lake and take it or the Fremont or the High-Line  or the crossover or weave back and forth depending on any lingering snow, It’s all relatively level and open with the most up and down part being the first five miles from the Scab Creek trailhead. It’s also fairly to mostly to completely open so far as tree cover so the snow should melt fast. and the interlaced trails give you lots of options and maybe some chances to approach closer to the high peaks just  right   over   there. Lots of beautiful lakes and no need to go above 10,000 feet. That might just work! Temps up past 60 at Elkhart today. That’ll melt some snow.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools