Topic

test

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    James Klein
    BPL Member

@jnklein21

Locale: Southeast

I recently finished a new set of trekking poles using wrapper carbon fiber upper section and Aluminum lowers.  Am interested in the Al lower for “toughness” against impact type damage and cheapness of replacement and, of course, carbon uppers for general strength/weight payoff.  Flicklocks have always been my strong preference for adjusting mechanism due to lower fiddle-factor.  Overall, I am very happy with these – the studyness seems just right for my needs (hiking and shelter support).

Pole specs:

4.4oz/127grams per pole

54″ (137cm) max / 30″ (76cm) collapsed length.

Uppers are .5″ ID and .56OD unidirectional wrapped carbon fiber tubes from rockwest composites cut to about 27″ long

lowers are .49″OD (~.433ID) Easton tent pole section aluminum with insert. (trekking pole tips fit over the reduced diameter inserts with only a slight amount of sanding).

trekking pole tips were purchased here:  Wilcor replacement

Hand grips are 6″ long with a .5″ID from mudhole  EVA with slight taper from Mudhole

Flicklocks are  16mm replacements from black diamond

A few notes/pointers on assembly:

• The lower alumimum insert was trimmed to a length of slightly greater than .5″.  The wilcor replacement tip is just to small and therefore was bored out slightly in order to slip the aluminum lower in the .5″ (still tight enough to require hammering).  Dremmel was used to increase the tip bore.  Gorrilla glue for joining.

• To allow for clamping without cracking a 9/16″ hole has drilled through the carbon fiber upper  (just above where the flicklock hardware rests).  Two, 1/4″-3/8″ slots were cut from these holes to the bottom of the pole.  Standard drill/bits for the hole and dremmel with cuting wheel – all surfaces being cut were first covered with tape to prevent chipping, peeling, etc.

• The flicklock end requires mild shimming to accept the flicklock (carbon ID is just slightly too small)…4-5 wraps of clear tape was used.
    • Grips are slid over the opposite end of the carbon pole with gorrila glue – tapper oriented so that the larger OD points downward.
    • The ID hole on the grip end of the upper is left open to allow for and insertion type dual pole extender (more on that later).

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools