Topic

Tent suggestion for Grand Canyon late December

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Gear (General) Tent suggestion for Grand Canyon late December

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Myles B
    BPL Member

@vangerald

1. Hello everyone, I thought I would pick a few brains for a moment. I am headed down to the Grand Canyon December 20th-22nd, and we will be staying at the Bright Angel, and Indian garden campgrounds during our trip. I am curious if a free standing tent is needed, or will my tarptent notch li be sufficient? A friend is suggesting I purchase a freestanding tent, as the camp grounds can be very hard and compacted. With that said, if I do purchase a free standing tent, would the copperspur hv ul2 be a good choice, or can someone offer up a better alternative. Thanks in advance!
    Myles B
    BPL Member

@vangerald

My apologies. I am not sure why this posted twice.

Arthur
    BPL Member

@art-r

In those two campgrounds, you will have minimal problem getting stakes in the ground. Done it many times. In some more remote areas, it can be a challenge, but it happens the Grand Canyon is full of rocks to tie to. Not sure how many “we” is, but some sites are small for more than a couple of multiperson tents.

Claiborne B
    BPL Member

@cbrown2019

You can get away with a trekking pole tent, but you’ll need a solid tent stake that can take a pounding. I would recommend the DAC V stake type. Stear clear of taking typical ultralight options: carbon fiber, titanium, or aluminum Shephard hooks.

If you really want a freestanding tent the copper spur is a good choice. I took one down in the canyon in 2018 for the same reason. I’ve used a tarp/ bivy since then.

Also, they have supplies in the South Rim general store i.e food, isobutane, etc.. You can rent a tent by the day in the Grand Canyon Outfitters section inside the general store if needed.

Myles B
    BPL Member

@vangerald

Thanks for the information. It is good to hear I will not need to purchase a different tent. Although, one can never have too many tents. I should have been more specific. The “we” includes four people. One couple, and two single tents.

DWR D
    BPL Member

@dwr-2

I own various tents. I don’t take my DCF tents to the canyons. DCF fabric is particularly vulnerable to being damaged by sharp or abrasive things like you find in the canyons. So I take less expensive, less vulnerable tents to the canyons.

HkNewman
    BPL Member

@hknewman

Locale: The West is (still) the Best

Those campsites are very flat and vegetation-free (in fact it’s a ticket if a guy line leaves the tent site .. though my acquaintance may have smarted off to the ranger).

Any sort of backpacking shelter will work.  You’ll need to pound any stake .. or go with a bivy.

Myles B
    BPL Member

@vangerald

Thanks again. Yeah, damaging my dcf tents is always a worry, but I imagine it is more of a concern in a place like the Grand Canyon. You know, I hadn’t thought of the bivy idea. I will take a look at that. No matter what I choose, it seems like I will be pounding stakes regardless.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools