Topic

Tent Stake "Quiver" – Simple MYOG Project – Photos and Guide

Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Home Forums Gear Forums Make Your Own Gear Tent Stake "Quiver" – Simple MYOG Project – Photos and Guide

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Ken M
    BPL Member

@kenmoz

Locale: Louisville, Oh

<div>An alternative storage idea for your (round) tent stakes.  I was making up a stake “quiver” and wondered if anyone else was doing this.  I did not find anything like this on this forum so I thought I’d share.</div>
    <div>
    The credit… Back in the 70’s  I needed something to keep my gutter nail stakes organized.  My mother came up with a sleeve with slots (pockets) and a flap to cover the heads and tips.  She also taught me to sew and allowed me to use her machine.  After that it was sort of DIY for repairs and stuff sacks.</div>
    <div></div>
    <div>Notes:
    I generally slide my stakes down between the tent stuff sack.  I usually double up the fabric at the top of slot and points for better wear and more protection to other gear.</div>
    <div>—
    I favor bright colored fabric that make it easy to see and find in a pack or tent or on the ground.</div>
    <div>—
    Make with the exact number of slots for your stakes or add a couple more slots for extra stakes.  Having slots for your stakes makes it easy to see if you’ve dropped or missed picking up a stake.</div>
    <div>—
    The dimensions given work for my hooked or straight stakes that insert about 6-1/2 inches. Adjust length if needed.  Note that I show (8) slots (or pockets).  Adjust width for number of slots.  My slots are 3/8 inches wide for my stakes which are  .150″ and .167 diameter.  I have some older thicker stakes which are .238″ diameter.  These probably need a 7/16 wide slot.</div>
    <div>—
    The drawings are more of a guide or explanation of how I make these.  They do not show any hemming or edge finishing you may want to add.</div>
    <div>—
    Could be a simple sewing project for someone wanting some sewing practice.</div>
    <div>—
    Fabric:  Doesn’t need much.  A good use for scraps.  I had some cheap utility nylon (2 osy) that works good…at the price of a few grams.  Fabric with a bit of stiffness is easier to sew.  Syl-nylon = not so easy to work with but lighter.</div>
    <div>—
    I don’t use triangular stakes.  I suppose something similar could be made for them but would require more fabric.  May not be worth it.</div>
    <div>—
    Other possibilities…  Add a hang loop.  Make a pocket in the top flap to store an extra guy line.</div>
    <div></div>
    <div></div>
    <div>-</div>
    <div></div>
    <div>-</div>
    <div></div>
    <div>-</div>

Happy Hiking     – Ken

Ken M
    BPL Member

@kenmoz

Locale: Louisville, Oh

Sorry about the <div> crap.  Apparently this new system doesn’t know what WYSIWYG is.  Very disappointing.  and of course now i can’t edit.  Groan.

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

<div>

welcome to BPL : )

nice work, nicely documented

</div>

Bob Moulder
    BPL Member

@bobmny10562

Locale: Westchester County, NY

Ken, I envy your craftsmanship but I don’t see the rationale for separate slots for each stake. I usually just put all my stakes together in a little silnylon bag that weighs 1.7g.

Roger Caffin
    BPL Member

@rcaffin

Locale: Wollemi & Kosciusko NPs, Europe

Fancy stake pack, but hardly UL.

Cheers
    —————–
    EDIT:
    Oops – stupid me! Since this is BPL I was reading ‘ounces’ rather than ‘grams’. My mistake. Apologies.
    I just use a small sylnylon bags, but it comes out to about 4.5 g, which is more than the 3.7 g for the lightest sheath. However, that is for 10 Ti wires and 4 tubes.
    Cheers

Jerry Adams
    BPL Member

@retiredjerry

Locale: Oregon and Washington

welcome to BPL : )

I use a ziploc bag myself.

Matthew / BPL

@matthewkphx

I dunno Roger. 3.7 grams seems doable to me. ;)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Forum Posting

A Membership is required to post in the forums. Login or become a member to post in the member forums!

Get the Newsletter

Get our free Handbook and Receive our weekly newsletter to see what's new at Backpacking Light!

Gear Research & Discovery Tools